- Business and Employment»
- Business & Society
Risk Management: Compliance, Scandal, Fraud and the Anti-Corruption Manager
What is Anti-Corruption Work?
Job posting boards and aggregates have featured an increasing number of positions in Anti-Corruption Careers Since the beginning of 2013. Job seekers may wonder what that industry entails and may think about politics and banking when they hear the word corruption.
Simplified, anti-corruption as a whole seeks to make public and private, domestic and international business transacations transparent and legal in a variety of iindustry sectors.
Where Are Anti-Corruption Jobs in the USA?
From early 2013 through 2017 American companies advertised approximately 500 to 1,000 anti-corruption related positions at any time. The number of openings advertised rose to over 1,400 positions in the spring 2015 and declined to a steady 500 or more during the remainder of the time interval.
The largest numbers of openings are usually found in the larger metro areas of New York City; Washington DC; nearby Quantico/Norfolk/McLean/Arlington VA; Houston/San Antonio/Dallas TX; San Francisco; Chicago; and Columbus OH. Many of these large metro areas are involved economically with either large businesses and non-profits, government and defense missions, or both.
In the new 21st Century Space Race, anti-corruption work may increase, because competitions between nations is high in securing rights to celestial bodies for work in Asteroid Mining since 2012, Lunar Habitation since 2013, and Missions to Mars (privately planned for 2018).
Large sums of money are involved in all of these endeavors, as well as extraordinary interest shown by several global countries, individual investors, and private businesses.
In the Health and Medical Industry, anti-corruption work is important in cases of potential fraud related to claims and reporting of personal injury, Workers Compensation, SSI/SSDI, Medicare, Medicade, prescription drugs, and others.
Locations of largest numbers of anti-corruption jobs.
The advertised salaries for all anti-corruption type jobs listed as open across the United States ranges from $40,000 to over $120,000 annually, plus benefits.
Nearly all of these positions are full-time jobs, but Summer Interns (now called Summer Associates) are employed by a few companies, such as Navigant, Dow Jones, and Deloitte, especially in data analytics.
Percentage of Total Jobs by Salary Level:
- $40,000 - 59,999: 31.3%
- $60,000 - 79,999: 20.4%
- $80,000 - 99,999: 18.4%
- $100,000 - 199,999: 10.2%
- $120,000 and greater: 19.7%
Companies Hiring the Most Anti-Corruption Workers
Financial and government contractor agencies are doing most of the hiring, as follows:
- Morgan Stanley
- JPMorgan Chase: This financial products, mortgage, and banking organization advertises as many anti-corruption jobs as the next four companies combined.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers USA
- Eli Lilly
- Grant Thornton
- Celgene Corporation
- PwC: From the company website: "We provide industry-focused assurance, advisory and tax services for over 85% of the largest US public and private companies." This includes Forensic Accounting, which has become a growing field since 2000 in light of uncovered large Ponzi schemes and other fraud.
- Deloitte Development
- Navigant Consulting - Global Investigations
- Compliance Search
- Center for International Private Enterprise
- American International Group
- Dow Jones
Examples of Anti-Corruption Job Titles
- Anti-Corruption Attorney
- Anti-Corruption Compliance Manager
- Anti-Corruption Training and Education Manager
- Anti-Money Laundering Services Manager - Deloitte, Washington DC
- Audit Manager, Anti-Bribery & Corruption -- Research Triangle Park, NC
- Border Advisors
- Budget Analysts
- Compliance Officers, Chief Compliance Officer (CCO), Analysts, and Associates
- Corrections Advisors
- Cyber Crime and Breach Response Manager
- Data Analysts
- Forensics Cyber Manager - McLean VA, known as "Internet Alley" and a leading city for Internet advancement.
- Global Financial Crimes Compliance /Senior Advisor - JPMorgan Chase; anti-money laundering and others.
- Government Contracting Ethics and Compliance Director - McLean VA
- Healthcare Internal Audit Senior Associate
- Police Advisors
- Role Player/Surveillance Team Member
- Security Specialists
Who is an Anti-Corruption Manager?
Sample Qualifications and Duties for an Anti-Corruption Manager
TITLE: Anti-Money Laundering Investigation Manager
INDUSTRY: Banking and Financial Products/Services
SALARY: GlassDoor.com: Wage Range $83K to $88K in New York City
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, financial software, and spreadsheets
- BS or BA degree in any field; most applicable would be finance, business, computer information, forensic accounting, and related areas.
- Certified Anti Money Laundering Specialist Certification is a plus
- Understands financial products, bank customers, and usually expected types of activity in order to identify risk and suspicious activity as it happens
- 2 or more years of supervisory experience
- 3 or more years of experience in banking and finance, legal, or compliance career fields
- Experience with the daily operations of Anti-Money Laundering operations or similar
- Above average problem solving, time management, and detail management skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Proven interpersonal and leadership skills
- Able to develop employees to meet and exceed performance standards
- Must be accomplished in verbal and written communications
- Manage daily schedule and workflow for a Investigatice Team per department and company standards
- Strong understanding of US Regulations, especially the Bank Secrecy Act and US Patriot Act
- Find and identify service delivery failures and alert business owners
- Review daily work items in a tiely manner
- Train and meet with individual investigators, set goals and coach to exceed goals
- Write performance analyses on a regular basis withplans for improvement and advancement
- Understand and instruct in policies, procedures, and human resources issues
- Conduct computer data research via survellience and monitoring systems, and public/subscription-based services
- Prepare and present department related reports and action plans
- Make decisions on ending identified risky relationships
- Consistently perform in-depth and often complex investigations, providing detailed analysis of data
Helpful Qualifications Information
- Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists
Considered the Gold Standard in this certification business.
- Forensic Accounting Bachelor's Degree Program | Franklin University
Franklin's Forensic Accounting curriculum combines accounting principles with fraud detection and prevention techniques. Take courses online or in the classroom.
© 2013 Patty Inglish