- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs
Knoxville Employment - Nutrition, Dietetics and Internships
Nutrition and Dietetics in Knoxville
During the World's Fair of 1982 in Tennessee, I found Knoxville a most interesting place. The fair was held on both sides of the river and connected to the University of Tennessee. It was fun and refreshing to see a university that I had never visited previously, and to see so many international exhibits at the fair. Lines were long, but wait times were not as long as expected.
Despite usual high world's fair costs, the fair brought additional businesses and tourist dollars to the city that spurred further educational and economic advancement in the coming decades. According to Sperling's Best Places, Knoxville has experienced recent growth in population, jobs, and economy, with lower overall cost of living than for America total (84 as opposed to 100).
A reader and HubPages Member wrote in asking about the potential job market for employment in the field of Nutrition, her target city being Knoxville, Tennessee.
To begin, Nutrition and Dietetics jobs are not among the top 10 or 15 jobs projected to increase significantly in Knox County or in Knoxville, Tennessee. However, these and related jobs are available now and increasing through the decade of 2012 - 2022.
An overview of the job market is features at Top 5 Job Markets in Tennessee for 2008 - 2018. Fortuitously, the University of Tennessee has a food lab that may offer jobs and internships.
Looking at all jobs listed on Internet sites on December 19, 20, and 21 in 2011, I found only about 50 job postings in the field of nutrition or dietetics in an area within a 25-mile radius of the center of Knoxville. A 50-mile radius revealed about 100 such postings. Healthcare is the leading job industry in the city, with Food Prep and Service in casual dining and fast food places in second place.
Reference Map of Tennessee Markets
High Demand Jobs in Knoxville
Among the job vacancies in highest demand within a reasonable driving distance of 25 miles of city center, these nutrition related jobs are:
- Retail Salespeople for sports nutrition items.
- Merchandisers for Kellogg Company
- Dietary Managers
- Clinical Dieticians
- Home Health Aides (HHAs) -- Recent telecasts have highlighted the long-term plight of HHAs in their long work hours without overtime pay in the American Midwest.
- Veterinary nutrition/dietician types of jobs (very few)
At the same time of this snapshot, I found posted nearly 250 nutrition-related jobs in other Tennessee cities.
The top metro areas for this kind of work are Nashville, Memphis, and Franklin Tennessee. A move might be in order, if our graduating friend wants to work in nutrition related fields.
An internship post graduation may be the answer to this dilemma of lack of job openings.
Close-up of Knoxville
Guides to Knoxville
After the Knoxville World's Fair
World's Fair Histories
Job Trends in Knoxville
Highest Demand Jobs 2014 - 2016
- Owner Operator Truck Drivers
- DOLLAR GENERAL - Assistant Managers and Lead Sales positions arising from a buyout by Dollar Tree.
- Event Specialists
- Customer Service Jobs
- General Managers - Various businesses
- Clinical RN Nurses
- Telecommuting Insurance Sales
- Patient Care Techs
- Physician and Medical Assistants
- Home Depot Cashiers and Department Specialists
- Software Engineers
- IT Analysts, Administrators, and Managers
- Pizza Hut Jobs, all job titles.
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
Ups and downs in nutrition job trends with a powerful surge upwards in 2013 - 2014.
Openings for Dietitians declined, with surges upward in 2013 - 2014.
Internships can lead into full-time employment and make a good segue from college to work.
Looking into the internship market in Knoxville is one way to find additional opportunities in nutrition after graduation and certification. Internships and jobs you might not find listed elsewhere may be available at hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living and retirement centers, schools K-12, colleges and universities, day care operations, restaurant chain headquarters, food companies like Kellogg, local and state health departments, the US Armed Services, and even prisons.
A good time to begin the quest for internships in nutrition and dietetics or related fields is at the beginning of the final semester of academic training or even before. However, begin as soon as possible to contact companies and organizations about internships and you may hear about full-time work in our field.
Hospitals and Other Organizations to Contact for Internships and New Jobs in Nutrition and Dietetics
- The many Knoxville Hospitals are available at this link: http://www.ci.knoxville.tn.us/newcomers/hospitals.asp
- Knoxville City Schools: www.ci.knoxville.tn.us/newcomers/schools.asp
- Knox TN County Schools: http://knoxschools.org/?sessionid=b33394856cc8abfe64f 308acff2cbd34&t
- Kellogg Company - Search under R&D and bring up jobs after hitting APPLY button at http://www.kelloggcareers.com
- Local Colleges and Universities: http://www.knoxvilletennessee.com/edu-colleges.html
Consult Yellow Pages listings and online directories are additional companies and groups of organizations that offer internships and future employment in Nutrition and Dietetics.