- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches»
- Local Job Searches
Eden Prairie MN - Best City in America
Number One Best City In America - Best Economy
CNNMoney magazinne recognized Eden Prairie, Minnesota as the Best City for Living in America in 2010, a list of which the city has been a member since 2006. In the next decade, Eden Prairie jockeyed between first and third best city each year at the top of the list.
One reason for the Number One distinction is that its residents are considered among a group of the healthiest people in the country, according to city, county, and state media releases. They live in the area responsible for outstanding postsecondary education, particularly in medicine and in psychological assessment.
In 2011, Eden Prairie was also voted the Best City for Senior Citizens in America and Number Two for a healthy retirement.
Close-Up On the Map
Sustainable, Safe Eden Prairie
Another reason for the honor is the city's dedication to sustainability and environment, maintaining its portion of the Minnesota River on which it lies, at least 17 local lakes, a number of parks, and over 100 miles of trails for bike and foot activities. That dedication contributes to greater overall health among the population as well. Cold in winter, the general atmosphere of the Eden Prairie area is clean and open, with big cities and green spaces to enjoy within them.
A dozen miles to the southwest of Minneapolis, Eden Prairie features its own airport, Flying Cloud Airport, with a history to WWII; and a regional mall at Eden Prairie Center. The mall opened in the 1970s and was renovated in both the 1990s and 2000s. Southwest Transit is the city's mass transit company, providing bus service on weekdays around several communities near and in Minneapolis, including the University of Minnesota.
Eden Prairie is advertised as a safe community for families and seniors and fun for young adults, with many businesses and higher educational facilities of its own in addition to those in Minneapolis. Attractions, hotels, clubs, and restaurants draw visitors and new residents as well.
Fastest growing suburb of Minneapolis - St. Paul
- Bent Creek Golf Club - Eden Prairie MN
- Eden Prairie Center
Visit Eden Prairie Center in the southwest metro and you will find fabulous shopping, dining, entertainment and an unmatched experience!
- Frank Lloyd Wright Sites - www.franklloydwrightsites.com
Several Frank Lloyd Wright homes are located in Minneapolis, St. Louis Park, and other nearby towns.
- Midwest Region Refuge System
The Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1976 to provide habitat for a large number of wildlife species.
- Minnesota Landscape Arboretum - University of Minnesota
Over 1,000 acres of magnificent gardens, model landscapes, and natural areas-from woodlands and wetlands to prairie-with extensive collections of northern-hardy plants. Tour the Arboretum on 12.5 miles of garden paths and Three-Mile Drive.
- The Museum of Russian Art - Minneapolis - The Museum of Russian Art (TMORA) is presently the only non-profit museum in North America dedicated solely to the preservation and presentation of educational exhibitions and related events pertaining to Russian art and artifacts from the 19th and 20th centuries.
- SouthWest Transit -- Home
- Three Rivers Park District
A park and trail system that serves the west suburban Minneapolis and St. Paul Twin Cities area of Minnesota with events and activities for all seasons.
Publishing and Writing Center of Minnesota
Eden Prairie is included in the Greater Minneapolis-St. Paul Metro Area, which is well known for producing successful authors and publishing houses that serve clients globally. A selected partial list of published, may advertising job openings, is presented below.
One of the great writers from this area is Andrea J. Sisco, co-author of a Young Adult series and a the first n her mystery series A Deadly Habit: A Penelope Santucci Mystery.
Increases in Publishing Jobs To 2014
Selected Local Publishers
- Augsburg Fortress
Augsburg Fortress is the Publishing House of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We are the ELCA's Ministry of Publishing, offering Fundraising for Your Ministry, Church Supplies, Renewing Worship, Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, and mo
- Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. - BNA - Information for Professionals
BNA is the foremost publisher of print and electronic news, analysis, and reference products, providing intensive coverage of legal and regulatory developments.
- Lerner Books
LUC Lerner Universal Corporation is committed to offering the highest quality publishing products and services to a wide variety of customers, designed specifically to meet their needs. LPG Lerner Publishing Group is dedicated to producing the highes
- Pearson Higher Education
Pearson Higher Education, Educating more than 100 million people worldwide, Pearson is the global leader in educational publishing, providing scientifically research-based print and digital programs to help students learn at their own pace, in their
- Thomson Reuters | Home
Thomson Reuters is the world's leading source of intelligent information for businesses and professionals
- Welcome to Quayside Publishing Group
Quayside Publishing Group encompasses Rockport Publishers, Fair Winds Press, Quarry Books, RotoVision, Apple Press, Creative Publishing international, Motorbooks, Voyageur Press, Zenith Press and MVP Books.
- Scholastic, Helping Children Around the World to Read and Learn | Scholastic.com
Scholastic.com, the flagship Internet portal for the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, offers content and products for children ages 0-13 and the educators and family members who support their development.
- Wolters Kluwer | Official Website
Wolters Kluwer is a market-leading global information services and publishing company focused on professionals.
At least 14 different Native American Nations lived in Minnesota, many around the Minneapolis region.
Native North Americans in Minnesota
For thousands of years, at least 10,000 - 12,000, our North American First Nations and Native Americans inhabited what is now Eden Prairie and the regions surrounding it.
At least 14 different Native American Nations lived in Minnesota, many around the Minneapolis region and many passed through to other territories. Some of these nations are the Arapaho, Chippewa, Delaware, Fox. Illinois, and Iowa.
As in other northern states, the Indigenous hunter began trade with European trappers and by 1851, a treaty between Native Americans and the US Federal Government targeted lands west of the Mississippi River in Minnesota for settlers to build homes and farms. Although several native groups moved westward, many remained in the area and native culture is preserved. A Native American Cultural Corridor is an ongoing project in Minneapolis.
Ojibwe (Chippewa) Delegation to Washington DC, 1852
Local First Nations
- Birchbark Books
Birchbark Books is a comfy nook filled with good books and good people. Owned by Minnesota writer Louise Erdrich, this independent bookstore is located near Lake of the Isles in Minneapolis. We are a general bookstore specializing in Native American
- Circle News. News from a Native American perspective.
Native American newspaper. The Circle News. Native American news and arts. Native American news.
- Minneapolis American Indian Center
- Shakopee Trading Post-Native American Arts, Crafts, Jewelry- Minnesota
- Welcome To Playworks
Owned and operated by the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Nation.
Top 10 Hot Jobs Out of Ninety Thousand Job listings
- During the latter half of August 2010, only 52,000 job vacancies were listed across the Internet for a region spanning a radius of 25 miles from the city center of Eden Prairie. Job listings increased throughout August.
- By May 2013, the number of available job listings had climbed to 94,000 and remained at 90 - 95K to early 2014.
- Jobs increased again in 2015, but as much as 200% (see above graphic).
This market area encompasses the localities of Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Bloomington, Minnetonka, Eagan, Young America, and several others in a large megaplex. The most frequently listed job openings in this area have been, according to the comprehensive job search engines Indeed.com and SImplyHired.com, which gather all Internet listings:
- Truck Drivers for Federal Companies Trucking
- Holiday Stationstores Jobs - Convenience store chain in the US upper midwest.
- Software Engineers - Especially at Thomson Reuters.
- Retail Sales Managers, Salespeople and Cashiers
- Assistant Managers - Retail, boutiques, book stores, coffee shops, small dining outlets, etc.
- Wireless Sales Manager and Sales People
- Business Analysts -- Average market wage = $74,000
- Registered Nurses (RNs) -- Average market wage = $56,000
- Retail Sales Representatives
- Physical Therapists
Additional High Demand Jobs
- Automotive Technicians
- Manufacturing Technicians
- Store Managers
- Administrative Assistants
- Wholesales Sales Representatives
- Teacher for daycare facilities and early learning centers
- Personal Bankers
Holiday Stationstores is the 25th largest convenience store chain in the United States.
Top Hiring Companies
- Federal Companies Trucking
- Holiday Stationstores
- UnitedHealth Group
- University of Minnesota
- Fairview Health
- Robert Half Management Resources
- University of Minnesota Physicians
- Knight Transportation
- Allina Health System
- Robert Half Finance & Accounting
- Aerotek Scientific
- Boston Scientific
- Ameriprise Financial
- Park Nicollet Health Services
- Thomas Reuters
- Supervalu - Grocery and Drug stores
- Eden Prairie Schools
- Walt Disney Parks
Highlights of Large Employers
- Anagram is headquartered in Eden Prairie and is the largest manufacturer globally of metallic balloons. As an employer, the company offers an attractive benefit package that encompasses a 401k, profit-sharing, and bonuses.
- C.H. Robinson Worldwide - A Fortune 500 company, it is a shipping trucking, and logistics giant.
- Minnesota Vikings - Practice facility and home front office are located in Eden Prairie. Visit www.vikings.com/
- ShopNBC.com is also located right in Eden Prairie and is America's fastest growing, multi-media shopping network. A broadcasting center is also located in Eden Prairie, about 15 miles from Minneapolis.
- SuperValu is an owner of multiple chains of grocery, pharmacy and home store department stores, headquartered in Eden Prairie and founded in 1870 as a dry goods store. A feature of their training programs includes SuperValu University.
- Starkey Labs is the global leader in the output of personal hearing aids.
Largest Health and Medical Products Companies
Local Colleges, Universities and Technical Schools
- Augsburg College
- Brown Institute
- Cardinal Stritch University
- Hennepin Technical College
- ITT Technical Institute
- Minneapolis Community and Technical College
- Normandale Community College
- Thunderbird Aviation
- University of Minnesota - Includes U of M Medical Center and U of M Medical School (founded 1888)
- University of St. Catherine @ St. Paul
- University of St. Thomas - St. Paul
© 2010 Patty Inglish