- Business and Employment»
- Business & Society
Fort Collins, Colorado Growth to 2018
Scenic Colorado College Town
Fort Collins is located in a a western state full of natural wonders. It is also considered a college town, because a large portion of its economy relies on business brought to town by university and college students, along with their visiting families. From the several colleges and universities in the area, many students stay on in Fort Collins after graduation, taking advantage of the year-round outdoor activities.
College towns often experience greater job and business growth than non-college towns and cities because of the presence of higher learning and its partnerships with local business and government that leads to internships, new jobs, and additional funding to research emerging technologies for the 21st Century.
Fort Collins has shown consistent job growth for several years, even in 2008 - 2009, and this has contributed to its honor as one of the Forbes.com Top 20 College Towns in America.
CNNMoneyMagazine named Fort Collins as its Number One Best Places to Live in the Western US.
Fort Collins is the Number One Best Place to Live in the Western US.
Roosevelt National Forest Entrance, Fort Collins
Fort Collins, approximately 65 miles north of Denver CO, is the official access point and office location for the Roosevelt National Forest that was named and officially dedicated in 1932.
The forest was re-named from Colorado National Forest (first established 1897) after President Theodore Roosevelt, who championed conservation, wildlife, and the national park movement during his lifetime, particularly during his years in the nation's top office.
TR was so dedicated to these movements that he incurred many political cartoons during his career that made fun of and denigrated his work in this field of conservation. However, without him, the US would not have the advanced national park system it enjoys today - evan NASA launch sites contain conservation areas. Without Teddy, the park system would likely have taken a different form or not have developed at all.
The entrance to the park pictured above is in Estes Park, Colorado. It joins a chain of forests that includes the Arapaho and the Colorado State Forests. The nearby Pawnee National Grassland is also operated from an office in Fort Collins.
An astounding book I own that presents Roosevelt's wildlife and conservation work from his early childhood through his Presidency names him a Wilderness Warrior, reminiscent of nicknames we gave Australian conservationist Steve Irwin. The book is engaging, flows well, and represents information not before found in Teddy Roosevelt studies. If you appreciate the US National Park System, green living, and sustainability, you will enjoy this book.
FortZED Downtown Fort Collins Zero Energy District
Teddy Roosevelt would be pleased with the FortZED initiative in which its area is growing to become the whole world's largest single zero-energy district, having full sustainability via renewable energy.
The Fort Collins and Zero Energy District is a clean energy infrastructure project furnishing around 300 or more clean green jobs to the community. Area partners in government, business, and higher education are the City of Fort Collins Utilities, Colorado State University, Spirae, Woodward, Advanced Energy, Eaton, The Brendle Group, and the Northern Colorado Clean Energy Cluster. Goals include to provide renewable energy locally, regionally and finally, nationally as additional partners are gathered into the group of producers and renewable energy end-users. Other goals are to reduce energy bills and to create additional new green jobs.
Renewable energy sources used in this project include wind, solar, biomass, water, and thermal. Read more about the FortZED Project at FortZED.com/.
Downtown and FortZED
- Visit Fort Collins
Visit Fort Collins Colorado. Information on lodging, events, entertainment, scenic driving tours, outdoor activities, recreation, brew pubs, breweries, restaurants, nightclubs, arts, shopping, visitor services, convention and visitors bureau.
- Downtown Business Association - Fort Collins, Colorado
Downtown Business Authority, a non-profit corporation, is organized to promote the businesses of downtown Fort Collins, Colorado.
Government Projections for High Growth Jobs to 2018
Below are listed the expected high growth job titles across the Untied States to 2018. Healthcare is prominent among them and will likely continue to grow in all segments to 2020 and well beyond. titles in bold print indicate jobs already among the most frequently listed job listings.
- Computer Specialists
- Healthcare Support Jobs – aides, orderlies, other
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Retail Salespersons and Sales Representatives
- Business Operations Specialists
- Combined Food Prep and Service Jobs
- Information and Record Clerks
- Health Techs
- Primary, Secondary, and Special Education School Teachers
- Receptionists and Information Clerks
- Counselors and Social Workers
- Waitstaff (Waiters and Waitresses)
- Personal Appearance Workers
- Secretaries and Administrative Assistants
Top Hiring Companies
- Poudre Valley Health System
- Banner Health
- US Air Force
- Boulder Community Hospital
- Banner Health
- Best Buy
- Pizza Hut and Blockbuster (tied)
- North Colorado Medical Center
- Volt Information Sciences
- Taco Bell
- Medical Connections
- Wells Fargo
- US National Guard
Top 15 High Demand Jobs
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Occupational Therapists
- Customer Service Representatives
- Physical Therapists
- Store Managers
- Assistant Managers
- General Managers
- Retail Cashiers
- Retail Sales Associates or Salespersons
- Advance Practice Certified Nursing Aides (CNAs)
- Sales Representatives
- Case Managers
- Financial Advisors
- Retail Service Specialists
- Dental Assistants
Sports Opportunities in Fort Collins
- Colorado State University Athletics
- Fort Collins Baseball Club
- Fort Collins Catz - inline skate hockey.
- Fort Collins Force - soccer.
- Fort Collins Foxes - baseball.
- "Fort Collins Sports and Social Club" on Facebook
- Area Ski Resorts
- Sports by the City of Fort Collins - Recreation centers, leagues, parks.
- Cheeks International Academy - cosmetology.
- College America-Fort Collins at www.collegeamerica.edu
- Colorado Equine Research - Part of Colorado State University
- Colorado State University at www.colostate.edu - a partner in the FortZED zero energy distric project for renewable energy and total sustainability. Thsi school regularly advertises 100 or more open jobs.
- Everest University - career college.
- Fort Collins College - Institute of Medical and Business Matters at www.ibmc.edu/fort-collins-college.php - degree programs, medical laboratories, law library, computer labs, massage therapy classrooms and clinics.
- Front Range Community College at www.frontrange.edu: Often an advertiser of many jobs.
- Hair Dynamics Education Center
- Mc Kinley College at www.mckinleycollege.edu
- National Technology University - (970) 224-2614.
- Regis University at http://www.regis.edu/ - The Jesuit Catholic tradition.
- University of Phoenix
© 2009 Patty Inglish