- Business and Employment»
- E-Commerce & How to Make Money Online
Welcome to the World of Online Shopping with Amazon.com
We are in the 21st Century. Technology is our foremost ally (and enemy as well) and we basically live off of the Internet.
What comes first when you hear the word 'Amazon'? The rain forest or the website? I bet Amazon.com comes into your mind first. Even if you run a Google search for the term, the first few search results would be about Amazon.com, the website, not the forest. Now this may not seem fair, because Google owns Amazon.com. But if you run a Yahoo search for 'amazon', still Amazon.com will occupy the first few results. That is the level of popularity and stability Amazon.com has achieved over the years.
How Amazon.com got it's name and about the logo
Amazon.com was almost named "Cadabra" as in 'abracadabra'. But after some rigorous thinking by the founder, Jeff Bezos, it was decided to change the name to Amazon due to two reasons.
- First, in remembrance of Amazon river which is the largest river in the world and that to hopefully shed an idea as to the scale of Amazon.com.
- Secondly, back in the days websites were listed on the Internet alphabetically, and they thought a name starting with 'A' could give them a certain advantage to get on the search results fast.
Looking back, we could say that they have made a pretty wise choice.
The Amazon.com logo is simply Amazon.com written in simple case black letters on a white background with a curved arrow from letter 'a' to 'z'. The arrow from 'a' to 'z' is symbolic to show that Amazon.com has anything and everything from A-Z. Every product from A to Z. Also the curved arrow forms a 'smile', conveying that Amazon.com is ready to make you happy. Also notice that the arrow head forms a dimple!!! Pretty clever huh?
Read the history of the Internet giant and how it came to be.
Summary of the history of Amazon.com
- The company was found in 1995
- Amazon.com was founded by Jeff Bezos
- Initially Amazon.com focused on selling books online with the tag, "Earth's biggest bookstore".
- The first ever product sold by Amazon.com was a book named "Fluid Concepts & Creative Analogies: Computer Models of the Fundamental Mechanisms of Thought". By the time Amazon.com was operating from Jeff Bezos's backyard garage.
- Withing first two months of operation, Amazon.com operated as an online bookstore and sold books all over the United States (all 50 states) and 45 countries.
- Withing months Amazon.com's sales were up to $20,000 per week, which is massive.
- Amazon.com listed itself on the US stock exchange in 1997, at a price of $18 per share.
- Amazon.com was one of the few companies that survived the Dotcom Bubble and grew to be the Internet giant today.
- Currently (2012) Amazon.com is worth nearly $90 billion.
- Other affiliates of Amazon.com - A2Z Development, A9.com, Alexa Internet, Amazon Kindle, Amazon Studios, Amazon Web Services, Audible.com, dpreview.com, Endless.com, IMDb, The Book Depository, Zappos.com, Woot, Junglee.com, goodreads.com, myhabit.com.
Read about the founder, president and CEO of Amazon.com, Jeff Besoz
Product categories offered by Amazon.com..
- Amazon Kindle
- Automotive Parts & Accessories
- Baby Products
- Beauty (makeup, skincare, hair care, bath and shower etc.)
- Camera & Photo
- Cell Phones
- Clothing, Accessories & Luggage
- Collectibles - Books / Sports & Entertainment
- Consumer Electronics
- Electronics Accessories
- Gift Cards
- Grocery & Gourmet Food
- Health & Personal Care
- Home & Garden
- Industrial & Scientific
- Musical Instruments
- Office Products
- Personal Computers
- Shoes, Handbags & Eyewear
- Software & Computer Games
- Sports & Outdoors
- Tires & Wheels
- Tools & Home Improvement
- Toys & Games
- Video, DVD & Blu-ray
- Video Games & Video Game Consoles
And there are a thousand other categories under each of these main categories.
Amazon.com special deals and offers...
Amazon.com is very famous for it's attractive deals and special offers. Not only on holiday seasons, but for almost every season, every holiday and for almost every special event (sports, entertainment, anniversaries etc) they offer some kind of special offer. This has lead to the attraction of a massive fan base for Amazon.com.
Probably one of the most famous and fan-favorite deals of all time. Everyday, I mean everyday, Amazon.com selects one specific product (out of the millions is has in store) and provide a deep discount on the product, which is usually over 50% of the list price of the product. So the product naturally becomes half the price any other company can offer. The discounted price is known as 'Gold Box Price'.
2) Lightning Deals
Lightning Deals occur throughout the day. Every hour or so, one product is chosen to be given out at a deep discount, usually around 40%. The Lightning Deal lasts till the allocated time runs out or the allocated number of units are sold out.
3) Promotions Hub
Amazon.com's Promotions Hubs is a place where all the Amazon.com promotions and special offers are listed. Unfortunately the Promotions Hub is visible only to Amazon Affiliates like myself, so we can promote Amazon.com products through the numerous promotions offered. Promotions offered vary from Education Supplies, Camera Deals, Outdoor Toys & Games, Birthday Gifts, Music, Gift Cards, Books, Kindle, Movies, Electronics... Let's just say the promotions are available on almost all the categories we have mentioned above. If you want to keep in touch with these deals visit our Facebook page at Best Buy Experience.