- Business and Employment»
- Character & Professionalism
What are Appropriate Gifts for a Co-worker or Colleague?
Shopping for Holiday Gifts, Birthday Gifts or other Occasions Celebrated at the Workplace
Whether its your boss's birthday, or Administrative Professionals Day, its easy to get stumped in determining appropriate gifts for a co-worker or colleague. In some cases, you will have to more carefully select a business gift, to ensure that it is appropriate and appreciated, than you would when shopping for a friend or relative.
Tasteful gifts are always appropriate for people at the office. You will want to avoid raunchy greeting cards or presents that will embarrass the recipient, particularly if they are opening the gift at a gathering. Corporate gift giving should be considered an opportunity for you to showcase proper etiquette.
Having worked in a law office for 15 years, I've seen some wonderful and quite awful gifts exchanged between coworkers!
This business gift guide should help you plan your holiday shopping, or prepare for the next time there is an office celebration - retirement, baby shower, promotion, etc. Simply choose from the category below and select from a number of corporate gift ideas in a range of prices, starting with least expensive to the most generous. And, if you have other ideas of well-received office gifts, be sure to share in the comment section below.
Experience Gifts for Co-Workers or Colleagues
- Treat them to a coffee break
- Take them out to lunch
- Purchase movie tickets or gift card for the movies
- Give a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant
- Give a gift certificate to a spa
- Give tickets to an upcoming play, musical or ballet
- Get tickets to a favorite sports team/event
- Give a one-day pass for skiing, admission for ice-skating or another sporting activity
- If you are the boss or authorized superior, give them a paid vacation day, or at least the afternoon off
Avoid Giving Terrible Gifts to a Co-Worker or Colleague
Thoughtful Gifts for Co-Workers or Colleagues
- Homemade cookies, fudge or other baked goods
- A book your co-worker would enjoy (think interests, hobbies, etc.)
- A favorite CD or DVD
- Flowers or a potted plant
- Fine chocolates
- Leather-bound daily planner
- A bottle of wine or champagne
- Gift basket (wide range of styles, themes and prices)
- Wine or coffee club membership
- Gift certificate to a favorite store - consider the recipient's hobbies (photography, golf, fly fishing, running)
- Fine art - framed photography or painting, sculpture, etc.
Gift Ideas for Co-Workers and Friends
Inexpensive Gifts for a Co-Worker or Colleague
- Coffee gift certificates - be sure to at least get a pretty card!
- Gourmet coffee
- Homemade gifts (i.e., truffles, gingerbread, infused vodka, etc. - always include a recipe)
- Package of favorite gum, mints or candies, presented well
- Create your own gift basket
- Offer a service or time (e.g., babysitting for an afternoon so they can go holiday shopping, dog walking, etc.)
- Combine resources with several other coworkers to purchase a gift beyond your personal budget (group gift)
Holiday Gifts Under $3 for Co-workers or Colleagues
Least Appreciated and Appropriate Gifts for a Co-Worker or Colleague
- Coffee mugs
- Pencil holders
- Post-it notes or other cheap office supplies
- Picture frames
- Motivational posters
- Scented lotion or candles
- Any item that has obviously been re-gifted and/or used
- Any item with a suggestive/sexy overtone
- Any personalized item (particularly if it has the wrong name or misspelled name!)
- Anything with the corporate logo (caps, t-shirts, Christmas ornaments, etc.)
- Any item that cannot be used or consumed due to the recipient's allergies or health condition
Other Business Hubs by this Author
- Business Tips and Professional Etiquette for Modern Professionals
Professional etiquette guidelines and other business tips to help modern professionals get and keep a job. How you behave is as important as how you complete work tasks. Consider these tips and improve your manners at work.
- How to Prepare a Useful Self-Evaluation: Get a Raise or Promotion
Writing a self-evaluation is an important tool for a company to assess your performance and show your superiors that you should be awarded a raise or promotion. At the very least, a performance review gives you the opportunity to determine whether yo
- The Glass Ceiling Issue
Women in the workplace are still not equal to men in many respects. Here's how the glass ceiling issue may impact womens careers.
- Game On! Playing Office Politics
Keep your cool in the workplace by learning how to spot, avoid, or if you wish, play office politics.
Other Hubs by this Author on Gift Giving
- Gift Ideas for Wine Lovers
A list of gift ideas for people that love wine and wine-related items. From wine openers to wine tours, lots of options for giving gifts to wine lovers.
- Gift Ideas for Pet Lovers
If you are gift shopping for someone who loves pets, here are some ideas to help you find the perfect present. Whether the gift recipient owns a dog or cat, or simply loves animals, consider these gift ideas for pet lovers.
- Gifts Not to Give Women
When gift shopping for women, learn to avoid these insulting or impractical gifts.
- Gift Ideas For 13-Year Old Boys
I know how hard it is to shop for 13-year old boys! Here's a great gift guide to get you started.
- Gift Ideas For 10-Year Old Boys
Looking for gift ideas for a preteen boy? Simply pick his interests and choose among these options.
- Gift Ideas for 9-Year Old Girls
Shopping for gifts for 9-year old girls is easier when you consult this gift idea guide.
- Gift Ideas For 8-Year Old Boys
Help choose an appropriate gift for an 8-year old boy with this gift-giving guide
© 2012 Stephanie Hicks