Working from Home-Happy and Productive
There are hundreds, if not thousands who are excited when they finally get the oppertunity to work from home (or think that they might get that oppertunity). However, once you are there it is hard for many to be happy and productive. It is too easy to say, "I'll just watch a little TV or play games for a few minutes" or "I'll get started in a little while after another cup of coffee". The trick is finding a way to be happy, enjoy your time at home, and be productive. This often has to do with balancing out the elements of your life. With a few tips and a little practice you can be one who is productive working from home and who is well balanced.
Schedules and Rituals
Our minds and bodies love schedules and rituals. You can be a lot more productive if you have them. Whether it is a work schedule, a ritual for getting started (scents such as candles and noise such as that from a noise machine can help a lot), and mourning routines can all help get you in the mood for work. It can also help you get a few things done while on break (such as doing some dishes or moving the laundry around) and keep you working from mourning till it is time to quit at the end of the day.
Tips for Productivity
- Set a schedule. You should set a schedule of when you are going to do what you need to do and when you are going to do other things. Be realisitic and stick to it.
- Make to do lists. Many who start to work from home find that this is a great way to get things done. They work on cleaning the house, doing the laundry, and other things. But you need to make sure that you make a to do list that includes your work needs and prioritize them. If you have work that has to get done then make sure it is high on the priority list.
- Try to keep distractions down to a minimum. Some distractions are unavoidable (such as having your kids home while working on a project). However, you should work hard to keep other distractions to a minimum. You can set business hours for your friends and family. Simply let everyone know you are working and most will respect you. If you have to, turn off the phone. Other distractions can be music (if you struggle to work with it on), the TV, and things you would rather be doing.
- Schedule family time. It is easy to work from home and have a hard time turning it off. You may feel the need to keep working and this can lead to neglect of your family, loved ones, and friends. Make sure you are still spending time with them even though you are working from home.
Get Dressed. While many feel like working from home means you can work in your jammies or naked if you want. This is true, but most of the time you will be more productive if you get dressed. The mind thinks, "Okay, now it is time for work because I am in work clothes." This doesn't work for everyone, but many find it a great way to get ready for work.
Set Up a Productive Work Space
A lot of things depend on who you are an what your family life is like. However, working from home requires that you set up a productive and effective work space. Depending on your life this might mean different things. However, for many people the following things hold true and can help make a difference in how productive you are during your work day.
- Have your space set apart with a little privacy. This is especially important for those who are working in a house where there are other people (especially young people) who may interupt you.
- Keep it clean and organized. This isn't always easy for some of us, but it makes a huge difference to how productive you are. It also keeps distractions away (you aren't distracted by yesterday's dirty dishes. It also makes it easier when you don't have to hunt for the supplies that you need in order to get the job done.
- Keep all your supplies near by. If you need a telephone keep it near by. If you need a telephone book, keep it near by. If you need something have it handy so you don't have to stop what you are doing to go hunting for it.
- Whether you need a large space or a small one have it set up how you want it. You are the one who needs to be productive in it so make it work for you!
If you have yet to jump into working at home then now is the time to learn just how to do that. If you have any desire to make it as a work at home woman or mother then you will need a good guide to get you there. It isn't easy, but in the long run it is always worth it!
The biggest thing that anyone working from home needs to learn is time management. Yes you can set your own hours, but if you aren't careful the distractions can make it really hard to get what you need to get done completed. You can improve your life, but you have to do it by flexing your time wisely.
Have a Life
Working from home is a great thing, however there are times when it is easy to not stop working. Make sure you aren't neglecting your life. This is stated a little bit above, but it goes beyond taking care of the needs of your family and making time for them and your friends.
Don't forget to take care of yourself!
It is easy to neglect yourself while working toward something that feels big. This is especially true when it feels like there are a ton of different things you should be doing. However, make sure you are taking care of yourself as well.
- Eat. That seems simple, but there are a huge number of people who get caught up in their work and forget to eat. It is that simple. You should (at minimum) be eating a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is important to eat!
- Drink. You should still be drinking plenty of water even though you are busy. This is important to your health!
- Take breaks. Get up, walk around, and make sure you aren't getting stiff or hurting your body sitting too many hours in one place.
- Get outside. It is easy to feel like there aren't enough hours in the day, but you still need fresh air and exercise. Go for a walk or a bike ride. Go to the gym or the pool. Enjoy getting out of the house.
- Keep your work/life balance. Working is something that easily consumes our lives. It is especially true when you have your own business or are building one from scratch. You still need a life. You should keep some time to yourself. Have regular days off whether that is Tuesday or the weekend.
Review How You are Doing
With lists and schedules there are often things that crop up. Your deadlines may be met or flown past or you could struggle to keep it all in order. It is a good idea to review how things are going on Friday.
- This can be the time when you figure out how your week went.
- How much work you got done.
- How much work was left undone.
- What needs to get done next week.
- Things you could do to make the next week better.
It isn't always going to be peachy. Many times, working from home is hard work. You will have to find out what works best for you and stick with it. Try improving each and every week. Try getting more done, being more productive, and having a better life alongside a better work schedule.