How to make your staff happy; five simple ways to motivate your employees and make them produce beyond your expectations
Employee motivation, my own view
Employees and staff motivation is just like big doors that swings on small hinges. Motivating your staff and employees are supposed to be one of the simplest things to do in business if the psychology of staff motivation is properly understood by business executives. But, the reverse seems to be case. I will be sharing five powerful yet simple techniques that I use to keep my staff at my restaurant motivated. If you have been opportune to run a restaurant business before, you will know that it is not easy to hire the best hands and keep them in restaurant business.
Employee Motivation Books to Buy
5 ways to motivate your staff/ employees
· Give your staff a sense of belonging by making their opinion count; you can’t beat the influence of our ego and id on our activities. People tend to respond positive to anyone that will boost these two unseen aspects of our daily living. One way of doing this is to make the opinion of your staff/ employees count in certain areas of your business. They don’t mind if their opinion is slightly modified in actual implementation. I make my staff/ employees feel like my consultants on a good number of issues. That way, they feel on top of the world and give me their best. I equally build relationship that goes beyond the office environment. One of my employees and his family members recently invited me to one of their best festivals.
· Provide room for improvement and growth; nobody likes being static. Give your staff the opportunity to improve their knowledge bank. I organize seminars for my staff/ employees from time to time. The good part of this is that I don’t spend much on this as most of the resource persons are my friends that have the needed expertise in the area I want them to deliver to my staff. The seminars can be in the area of financial management, computer literacy, public speaking, etc. I also give one-on-one counseling to my staff members. This did not only get my staff/ employees motivated but earned me respect and admiration from them.
· Provide a conducive working environment; you can never get the best out of your staff members if you don’t make their working environment good for them. Apart from physical facilities, also provide non- physical facilities that will help make the working experience of your staff a memorable one. Show them love and respect.
· Strike a balance between financial and non-financial incentives; never make the costly mistake of basing your perks on financial grounds alone. Find a balance between financial and non-financial metrics. I sometime last year introduce what I call the ‘Ingenuity reward window’ for my employees, and they all fell for it. The system is simple, a staff secretly votes for another staff that is spotted doing something right at the right time or doing something extraordinary. In this my model, every staff is provided with our custom designed cards that will be dropped in our ‘ingenuity reward window’ box with the name of the staff to be rewarded and the reason for voting him or her. I factored in the number of cross voting that is allowed in order for employee’s votes to be valid (this a control introduced to checkmate fraud, and I also make the card unique for each month). At the end of every period, usually four weeks, the content of the box will be counted in the presence of everyone and the staff with the highest vote will be treated with some goodies. Some of the contents of the goodies are; ticket for two people to see a movie at the Silver-bird’s Cinemas in Victoria Island Lagos, ingenuity reward certificate with the option of changing it for money – most people prefer to hang the certificate in their office, a week off/ leave from work.
· Monitor their activities through cctv; I will be referring you to a blog post I made on employee motivation through watching TV. That link leads to an article that gave an account of the whole story of how I helped one of my clients improve sales by over twenty percent. So, avail yourself the opportunity of reading that post.
There are many other ways of motivating your staff/ employees, but the above five tips are what I use to motivate my staff and they have been consistently embarrassing me with productivity. Note however that staff motivation is not a rocket science nor has it definite formulae. What works for me might be a flop on your side, but the key is to keep learning and trying new techniques. But, whatever technique you use, always remember that your staff members/ employees are your most valuable assets and should be treated with utmost care, love and respect.
Buy some of these Amazon books and get more tips on staff/ employee motivation.
To your success at motivating your employees!
- MOTIVATION TO EXCEL: MOTIVATION TO EXCEL IN THE FACE OF GLOBAL CRISIS
Motivation to succeed in the face of economic crisis
- Office motivation is
Your employees needs tips to be motivated in the office