What should individual do to keep from being depressed during the holidays?

1. valerie miller profile image50
    valerie millerposted 7 years ago

What should individual do to keep from being depressed during the holidays?

Countless individuals young as well as old seem to be down during the holidays (especially during this recession).
    Some even contemplate suicide, because they either don't have enough funds for their child to eat or maybe they are experiencing loneliness....What are some suggestions....What can one do on personal basis to help them ease the load....?

2. Rebecca Saunders profile image61
    Rebecca Saundersposted 7 years ago

Sometimes the best gift you can give someone is to listen. It is easy for those struggling at Christmas to feel forgotten as everyone is busy planning for their own families and friends. It might be as simple as popping around to share a coffee. You may notice something you could do to help ease the load while you are there - like do their dishes, offer to baby sit or give them a lift to the shops.

Just the acknowledgement that you care and are willing to spend time with them could be enough to lift their spirits and motivate them to find answers to their problems.

If people are fortunate to be comfortable - perhaps instead of giving each other presents you could pool your present money and buy Christmas dinner and presents for a local family who are struggling financially.

Finally, one of the best things I have ever done to help myself is to volunteer - including when I have been alone in a strange country for Christmas.

There is something so uplifting about working hard to help others in need. I spent one Christmas serving meals for the homeless and lonely and it was a wonderful experience for everyone - I didn't have time to feel alone!