jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can mid-career men stay relevant in the marketplace?

1. profile image44
    TryGuyposted 7 years ago

How can mid-career men stay relevant in the marketplace?

I lost my job at 46 and have been unemployed for 3 months. Many of my buddies are now nervous about their jobs. What can they do to keep their jobs at the economy continues to go sought? Your answer may help me and my buddies.

2. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 7 years ago

Try to update your skills and/or acquire new skills such as computer skills that would make you more valuable to employers. Career change is also an option. Many out of work people are deciding to pursue other careers of interest, using this transition period as an opportunity to do something they always wanted to do, or can make more money doing.

3. Troyjones345 profile image35
    Troyjones345posted 7 years ago

Stay relevant by surfing the internet and reading up on new marketing schemes.

4. Joan1 profile image57
    Joan1posted 7 years ago

Be flexible.
    It's hard to say what you can do to stay relevant, because I don't know what industry you are in and what your qualifications and experience is.

Experience is what can set you apart from the rest. Emphasise that. If there are still opportunities in your industry then work on learning more in it. If you keep learning in combination with the experience you already have + the experience you gain with the things you are learning, will make you an expert in the field.

Try to find ways to be more useful in your job.
    The more useful you are the more invaluable you become to your employer.

All the best to you and your buddies.

working