jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How to decide on a name for a web site?

1. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 6 years ago

How to decide on a name for a web site?

I want to build a web site that will carry a variety of products, much like a Target, Walmart store. But I will carry things that are unique and different, vintage, retro, etc.  I cannot decide on  a website name. How do people decide on what they will call their site, and a domain name?

2. Patti Riggs Hale profile image60
    Patti Riggs Haleposted 6 years ago

I check Google Key Words to see how much traffic/competition there is for my working title.

If either the competition is too high or the search results is too low, I look for alternative phrases offered by the keywords tool that has low competition but high search results.

3. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 6 years ago

make sure its short and easy to pronounce ... you could add an "e" in front of it to represent an ecommerce site,  like ebay.

look for synonyms of specific words that might describe your collection as a whole... as an example i just did a synonym search for the word "collection" and got a few that might work ... ecluster, elot, emass, ecaboodle, ebatch etc... 

make sure it sounds catchy and makes sense. you'll also have to create a logo etc for the same name to put on the site.

4. seomarketing30day profile image53
    seomarketing30dayposted 6 years ago

find a short catchy name that includes the product you are selling.

Don't try fancy names such as: Google, Amazon, Intel etc..
    They put millions of dollars to brand this name.

Better start with a name that everyone know what you are selling.
    If you are selling cloths, name ABCCloth..com

ABC will be your brand name. And it includes the word cloth.

5. samtenabray profile image60
    samtenabrayposted 6 years ago

something easy to remember and something that will roll of the tongue.

6. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 6 years ago

It's really difficult to compete against major retailers with a large variety of products even if the variety is retro or vintage.  It may well be best to develop several sites targeting niche markets each named such that your product or market is obvious.  If the site name can actually include your keywords, i.e. vintageradios.com, even better.  It's good that you ask up front because the name of your site is critical.  Unfortunately, it is getting harder and harder to find short, quality URLs that aren't already taken.

7. Matt Jackson profile image59
    Matt Jacksonposted 6 years ago

You've got to create a brand - if you can get a keyword in there then that's great, but don't forego branding just to cram a keyword in the domain of your website, at least not for a gift type site anyway.

You want to make it memorable so short and snappy, as well as relevant is good. Hit up the Thesaurus, check out your competitors, and consider your main sellers. They should provide a decent starting point at least.

8. ImChemist profile image58
    ImChemistposted 6 years ago

if you building site about every thing you can name give it name derived from reviews , some thing like that

working