jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is it rude to conversate with two people in another language even though one doe

1. mikielikie profile image66
    mikielikieposted 6 years ago

Is it rude to conversate with two people in another language even though one doesnt speak it?

At work I have some guys who always speak in spanish to me and I don't understand it much. I have told them that. They still do it and hold coversations with eachother while I am there trying to figure out what they are saying because it has to do with work. they speak perfect english. Another guy at work has told them that they are being rude and I am on the fence about it. I can some times pick up some of it and sometimes they are talking about others and me.

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

It is always rude to converse in a language foreign to the host nation, that's one of the reasons why I never go to foreign countries, I only speak and understand English.

3. Marturion profile image60
    Marturionposted 6 years ago

It seems to me that this is not so much an issue of language as it is about exclusion.  I grew up in an Hispanic neighborhood and often would have people speak in their native tongue around me.  generally, it was because they wanted to convey something that was easier to do in Spanish than English, and I never took offense.  In this situation, they are purposefully speaking in Spanish in order to gossip and exclude others from work projects.  They most likely won't stop, regardless of how many people tell them it is rude.  As a result, they probably won't be around very long.  In my experience, such people eventually tick off the wrong person, and get fired.  try not to enjoy it too much when that happens.

4. moshitup profile image60
    moshitupposted 6 years ago

What you describe sounds like a deliberate act. Being intentionally disrespectful shows a complete lack of integrity on their part. You may want to take a class to learn to speak or interpret Spanish better.

5. ezweb profile image59
    ezwebposted 6 years ago

Yes, Definitely, it is rude to talk with two people in another language even though one doesnt speak it. Here in Pakistan, Our Pashto and Sindhi Colleague do same.

6. betcaro profile image60
    betcaroposted 6 years ago

They are being rude. If truly wish to communicate, then they may either speak a language common to all three of you, or translate for you and help you learn more Spanish. Deliberately speaking a language that you do not understand is no different than whispering in each other's ears to prevent you from knowing what is being said. Would you be "on the fence" about the appropriateness of their behavior if they were whispering?

7. Catzgendron profile image72
    Catzgendronposted 6 years ago

I feel that it's disrespectful.  I have 2 examples.  My Memere' knew my mom couldn't speak French so she would talk to my dad in French in front of my mom.  This continued until the night before Memere' passed away.  I always thought that was rude and disrespectful to my mom.
    Then I was a Girl Scout leader and another leader and her daughter spoke Spanish in front of the other of everyone else knowing they didn't understand anything they were talking about.  Now, as a Girl Scout leader & a Teacher she knew better. 
    So yes, I find it's very rude