jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What do you think it means to respect someone? Should it be earned, given, deman

1. Truthforworship profile image59
    Truthforworshipposted 6 years ago

What do you think it means to respect someone? Should it be earned, given, demanded? Why?

Abviously, most people think that we should respect one another. I'm wondering what it means to you. I'm asking everyone, but also those who believe in the Bible. The Bible has some things to say about it, what do you think it means. This isn't meant to be a huge discussion about women submiting/respecting men. I'd like to keep it positive in the sense, "What benefits/blessings would you see in your life if you were given more respect, or you gave it in your relationships?" Give some real life examples, it helps if we can see where your coming from! Comment away and may we learn today!

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Everyday respect has to be earned, however we have a right to respect of our being human.

3. Catzgendron profile image73
    Catzgendronposted 6 years ago

Respect should be earned and not expected nor demanded. read more

4. profile image0
    Fatigmonposted 6 years ago

Respect everyone until they give you reason not to.  If that happens the party or parties involved need to earn that respect back.  Until someone does something to lose your respect you owe them respect as a fellow human being, and that means as they are.  Respect does not mean you must associate with them, but respect them if you expect the same in return.

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think respect has to be earned but also demanded at times.  Sometimes our dealings with people are very brief and there is no time to earn their respect.  In those instances, you have to demand respect and teach people how they are to treat you.

An example of both earned and demanded respect would be our children.  I loved raising our kids and we had a ball.  But we had some basic rules.  My children did not raise their voices to me. I always listened to whatever they needed to say, thought things over but as their mother, I did not allow them to yell at me.

Likewise, I returned that respect and did not yell at them.  They were not hard of hearing, neither am I, so there was no need to yell.  We showed each other mutual respect.  We earned it by our behavior, but in the beginning it was demanded by us as parents.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I get that and concede in what I said about demanding respect - definitely children need to be taught respectful I think they need to be taught to be respectful of authority. I also agree sometimes we need to speak up for ourselves or others

6. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

I believe respect should be given unconditionally to other human beings and to animals, regardless of perceived value. Yes, respect can be earned, but I think all people and animals deserve to be treated respectfully. Respect can be demanded, but that is not the way to get it. A lot of people think they need the "respect" of their dogs. This is nonsense. We have a relationship with our dogs that does not revolve around respect, but rather mutual affection.