jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do we need to give tips every time we eat at restaurants ?

1. agusfanani profile image80
    agusfananiposted 5 years ago

Do we need to give tips every time we eat at restaurants ?

2. Ms Dee profile image87
    Ms Deeposted 5 years ago

According to my daughter who once worked as a waitress, yes.  This is so unless your server gave you very poor service.  Your tip is part of their pay, as they are not even paid a minimum wage, the expectation being they will get the rest from tips.

3. LoryRich profile image83
    LoryRichposted 5 years ago

For me, giving tips when eating out at restaurants depends on whether the service is good and whether a service charge is already indicated in the bill. Thus, granting that the service (and the food, too) was good, I look at the bill first and when I see that there's no service charge in the total amount due then I give  corresponding tips. I guess that's only fair.

4. hair bender profile image68
    hair benderposted 5 years ago

I have worked as a server at Shoney's, Red Lobster, Cracker Barrel and Mr. Manatee's(out of business now-was a seafood bar and grill).  I depended upon my tips as my pay.  I only shared tips for a party of 8 or more guests.  Usually most restaurants have a policy that if there are more than 8 guests, an automatic 15-20% gratuity is added to your bill.  The rate of pay for servers is usually $2.15 hour.  If your service is anything above poor, then yes, tip.  If it is poor, ask to speak to a manager.  Do not insult a server by leaving an upside down penny on the table.  Your server has taken your order, suggested menu items, maybe had your order specialized, brings you drinks and entertains you.  Be nice!  Wouldn't you like to be tipped for your job?