jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

What is an international equivalent of Elmer's white glue?

1. Lwelch profile image94
    Lwelchposted 5 years ago

What is an international equivalent of Elmer's white glue?

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

I am not certain there is. I would suspect that Elmer's White Glue is sold worldwide under different names that are licensed by the Borden company. Just a guess. To be totally honest, I have no idea.

Lwelchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I can find it in the UK.  I made a Hub with a recipe that uses Elmer's white glue and a reader wants an accessible solution.  I am having a hard time finding one.  Thanks for the thoughts.

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am not exactly what you are trying to do but based on your Silly Putty comment, would something like rubber cement with some liquid paper added to it do the trick. You can warm the rubber cement to thin it out. Use a fresh bottle of liquid paper.

3. Lwelch profile image94

Elmer's white glue + liquid starch = substance very similar to silly putty.

3. rutley profile image73
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

flour and water.........spread and glue.........................................

That would work for paste but, alas, not in a silly putty recipe.

4. DrMark1961 profile image98
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

Why not just put "white glue"? Elmers does not exist in many places, but everywhere I have lived  they sell white glue.

That is just the answer I was looking for.  If white glue is universal I will change it to that.

5. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_acetate

This has a list of other generic names for the glue you're talking about, "PVA glue" might be a good neutral choice. I usually say "school glue" when I don't want to mention the brand name Elmer's or Borden, but that's just me.  I suppose to be on the safe side you could list all the possible names an international reader might use for it.

Even better for an answer!  I didn't know PVA and Elmer's were the same thing.  I will be reading that after dinner!  Thanks!

6. ryancarter profile image60
    ryancarterposted 5 years ago

Melted horse carcasses are, I think, the international standard for Elmer's...

Awesome... add to hub... get one horse carcass, boil it until you get white glue.  Add liquid starch.  Now you have silly putty.

working