jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

If you were a recruiter for new hires, would you prefer video resumes over print

1. rgalloway56 profile image85
    rgalloway56posted 5 years ago

If you were a recruiter for new hires, would you prefer video resumes over printed ones?

Let's say you are in Human Resources and you need to find a Controller for your company.  Would you be more apt to view video resumes in your search, or would you prefer reading over printed resumes instead?

2. Tom T profile image70
    Tom Tposted 5 years ago

My experience with video resume's is if they are done right, they distinguish candidates.  Of course this is also true about the paper/electronic kind as well. Video resumes are not predominant therefore there is an opportunity to get noticed.  By done right I mean, keep it concise and to the point.  Introduce your qualifications and be brief.  If you have the ability to customize the video, all the better but not necessary.  Remember, your goal is just to get them to call you, it is not meant to replace an interview.

rgalloway56posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  After visiting a video resume website, I was disappointed in the quality of the videos.  Also, they lacked enthusiasm.  Good suggestion to keep it concise.  The recruiter may have many to view so it's good not to become long winded.

3. Jeannieinabottle profile image92
    Jeannieinabottleposted 5 years ago

I would be frustrated with a video resume.  When a paper resume comes across a person's desk or pops up in an email, it is easy to skim over it to see if that person has the right qualifications for the position.  If it is a video resume, one must take the time to watch the whole thing.  At a busy office, taking the time to watch a video is a waste of productivity.  There is also no way to refer back to it when discussing it with other workers unless the video is played again.  I feel it would be a nuisance.

If the applicant is applying for a creative position, the video could be OK.  For any other type of position at an office, I think a video would be annoying.

I appreciate your side of things.  You have a valid point.  However, I think that if a paper resume contained a link to a video, a recruiter could make the choice to view, or not to view.  For top professional positions, a video would be a plus.

4. Efficient Admin profile image94
    Efficient Adminposted 5 years ago

I would think a video resume would give the interviewer a chance to analyze the "soft skills" of the individual before asking them to come into an interview (or not), but I would still like to see a paper resume as well.

I like your take on this.  A recruiter is not only looking for skills, but demeanor, confidence in speaking, enthusiasm and presence.  I feel that a paper resume that contains a link to a video would be the best way to go.

working