How does one tell if an email about Twitter followers is a spoof?

1. CraftytotheCore profile image81
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

How does one tell if an email about Twitter followers is a spoof?

Part A:  Have you ever received an email that someone is following you on Twitter, but when you go to follow back they aren't in your list of followers? 

Part B:  Is it a common trend for people to follow others on Twitter, but then unfollow just to make it look like they have more followers than they are following?

2. Thief12 profile image91
    Thief12posted 4 years ago

It is a common phishing technique to receive e-mail messages that seem to come from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. telling you that someone's following you, or changed your profile pic, or whatever. The trick is to deceive you into clicking on the links in the e-mail, which will probably take you to some unwanted site or download something malicious.

The way I tell if it's legit is by looking at the e-mail header and see the e-mail address of the sender. If the e-mail was actually from the Twitter people, or Facebook, etc. it would probably say someone@twitter.com, or someone@facebook.com. Instead, most of these e-mails aren't. Either way, I try not to click on links from any e-mail, but instead open my Twitter/Facebook account on another window and see if it's true that someone is following me.

1. CraftytotheCore profile image81
      CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's so interesting.  I compared the headers from legit followers to this latest email and they look the same.  I can't really tell any difference.  It was a company.  I thought maybe they followed me and then didn't like what I say! LOL

working