Do you think Ayn Rand was correct on her view of where society was heading?

1. tanncann profile image68
    tanncannposted 4 years ago

Do you think Ayn Rand was correct on her view of where society was heading?

In the novel Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand's, she made predictions of the direction that American Society was heading. Do you think her ideas reflects todays society?and why or why not?

2. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

Ayn Rand might have believed she was making predictions, she was really just promoting a personal philosophy. A philosophy which said that the only things which matter are rationalism and ego.

That would have been bad enough, but on top of that she believed that only a few gifted elites were afforded the proper levels of rationalism and ego and the rest of humanity where just pathetic parasites.

Ayn Rand died alone with a paid nurse by her side. Why? because not many people want to be around someone who cares only for themselves and thinks the mass of humanity is a pool of slime.

There are an unfortunate number of people in America today who I call hyper-individualists who are very similar to Rand. The only thing that matters is the individual. The only thing that EVEN exists is the individual. These people, for whatever reason, are completely unable to grasp the concept that we are NOT mere individuals. When we enter into communal and shared social relationships we create a richer and deeper life for ourselves.

The existence of this faction of hyper-individualists doesn't mean that that is the way we are going. In fact I think it means the opposite. I suspect they know their day is coming to an end and are just putting up a fuss. The long arc of history is towards equality and the fellowship of society, not a game of king of the mountain.

working