jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Different between leader and manager

1. profile image55
    mukesh26550posted 4 years ago

Different between leader and manager

2. mgeorge1050 profile image79
    mgeorge1050posted 4 years ago

I think a leader is someone that has earned the respect of fellow coworkers by setting a good example and making smart decisions.  A good manager must have at least some leadership qualities.

3. Melinda Longoria profile image79
    Melinda Longoriaposted 4 years ago

I wrote a hub on this subject. I don't know if I'm allowed to post my link though. The title is What Is the Difference Between Leaders vs. Managers? Look at it this way, anyone can be a manager. You are a manager by your job title. The functions of management include planning, organizing, leading, and controlling. You see, leading is one of the job functions of a manager. However, not every manager knows how to be a leader. So, just because someone is a manager, it does not make them a leader.

Does that make sense? What is a leader? A leader can be a leader without any formal title or position. Leaders create vision, change, and are driven by a higher cause.

What's the difference? Managers do what the organization tells them to do. Leaders do what is right, regardless of what the organization tells them to do. A manager implements the organization's vision, a leader creates vision. A manager may be distanced from employees while a leader is engaging with people. A manager focuses on the bottom line while a leader sees the big picture. A manager directs people to do their jobs, while a leader collaborates with others as a team. A manager tells people what to do and a leader shows people what to do by their example. A manager may take credit for their employees work, while a leader gives credit to others.

I also wrote a hub on the definition of leadership which might be helpful. That one is called What is Leadership in Business Management. And I have several other hubs on some leadership theories, although there are many many more.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Sincerely,
    Melinda Longoria, MSM

4. kkemper1 profile image59
    kkemper1posted 3 years ago

Easy as pie; This is a management query that comes up every day
    in every company;

a manager is a hired position, HOPEFULLY with someone
    who is skilled and compassionate and exciting.

a Leader has speaking energy, enthusiasm and wishes to have a following.
    Few leaders want to be RESPONSIBLE FOR leading
    but all managers NEED to be responsible for managing.
    ALL managers strive to be leaders........a few make it.
    I have never ever seen a leader who cares for the responsibility of
    management.

working