Master of employment..

1. Lauren OMalley profile image60
    Lauren OMalleyposted 3 years ago

Master of employment..

With unemployment rising quickly recently, it can be a struggle to find vacancies and with higher amounts applying for the same position it can be hard to stick out from the rest.

I'm trying to gather tips and advice for the unemployed for a new blog...can anyone help me out here?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12252860_f260.jpg

2. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12253352_f260.jpg

Well I was fortunate enough to wear the same drab grey pin-stripped suit as the guy interviewing me. His name happened to be Dave Wright and he was the Personnel Manager for Kimberly Clark Canada. "Me fadder" had schooled me and made sure that I knew to wear a conservative drab suit... The other interviewer was a guy named Bob Forbes (forest engineer). We became "good" friends and he shared with me that Wright wanted to hire me because he thought I was of good character and dressed well. Bob shared that they usually didn't hire someone as young and inexperienced as me.

The other ironic aspect of this was the fact that this interview wasn't even my interview! It was actually for another John Conner. I had applied and thought it was my interview yet it was for another...  I spell my name John Connor and someone transcribed his name to my spelling, namely Connor rather than Conner.
    I had internalized my dad's advice and arrived early for the interview (about 1/2 hour). The other Conner had not arrived yet and Bob and Dave wanted to get the interview over with to get back to their hotel. So I had a great interview even though I noticed it wasn't my resume they were referencing. On my way out, John Conner was waiting for his interview. Long story, rather short, I got the position...
    Thus to summarize, emulate the person responsible for hiring (i. e. wear the same drab colored suit), arrive 1/2 hour early for the interview, remember it is good fortune to be named John Connor, and most significantly and ironically do not rely so significantly on your resume to procur the position...

3. arksys profile image91
    arksysposted 3 years ago

a good cv will get your foot in the door. a good character/attitude will get you the job ... i read somewhere that technical expertise counts for only 15% in a job interview, the rest is social skills, presentation, body language etc.

working