- Business and Employment
Is Public Speaking Anxiety Your Worst Nightmare?
Do you feel trapped in the ‘claws’ of public speaking anxiety? Are you constantly tormented by fear of public speaking?
Do you feel like passing out each time you are confronted with the prospect of speaking in public? Or do you simply feel like running away whenever public speaking is mentioned?
You say what?
Unfortunately, no matter our age, social status or level of education, public speaking is an activity that constantly stares at us in the eye like a vengeful demon!
It is closely interwoven with our daily activities that we cannot run away from it. Like I always say, it is simply a part of life.
But before you run away this time, it may comfort you to know that you are not alone!
According to a survey, the number one fear in the world is the fear of public speaking—ranking ahead of the fear of death! That means that there are several other millions of people who are scared to their bones at the thought of speaking publicly, not just you!
The good part, however, is that unlike some permanent disabilities or disorders, public speaking anxiety can be overcome... it is a battle you can win!
YES! I mean it! That outspoken, eloquent and confident public speaker right there could be you.
“But how?” Did I hear you ask?
Don’t get unnecessarily anxious. I’ll show you how.
What is Public Speaking Anxiety?
Public speaking anxiety is one of the several phobias faced by mankind. It is the nervousness or fear a person experiences when he/she has to speak in public or talk to a group of people. It is usually referred to as glossophobia.
Other common terms for public speaking anxiety are stage fright, speech anxiety and public speaking fear.
At this point, a key question to address is…
How do you tell if a person is battling with public speaking anxiety?
That brings us to…
Symptoms of Speech Anxiety
Whenever you take that bold step to talk to a group of people, do you experience any of the following?
- Increased heart beat. At times it pounds so hard, like a locomotive train, that you’ll begin to feel someone few meters away can audibly hear the sound! It can be that bad.
- Legs and hands shaking uncontrollably.
- Trembling voice.
- Increasing difficulty in breathing.
- Beads of sweats appearing on your forehead.
- Sweaty palms.
- Fumbling with your handkerchief, tie or the buttons on your jacket.
- Blanking out suddenly. Just as if something has suddenly whipped out your memory.
If you do, then you are displaying the symptoms of public speaking anxiety.
Note though that different people display different symptoms. All of them do not necessarily have to be present in the same person at a given time.
The bad thing is that most of these symptoms are easily noticeable and your audience is able to tell quite easily that you are nervous!
Don’t be overly disturbed though…
I know that it is your greatest desire to get rid of this ‘menace’ that probably constitutes a nuisance to you. And that’s exactly what I’m here to show you how.
Here’s what I’m going to do: I’ll take you through some interesting information that will help you achieve this.
So, all you need to do is to click on the links below and (snap!) you have them on your fingertips!
Go and check them out and I’ll be right here waiting for you while you read… Happy reading.
- Causes of Public Speaking Fears. I strongly believe that the first step in dealing with public speaking anxiety is to know its causes. Really, any problem or challenge that the causes are known is already half-solved. Do you doubt me? Then check this out.
- Simple and Hot Tips to Overcoming the Fear of Public Speaking. Check these out and you will be amazed at how simple and yet helpful these tips are.
- Confident Public Speaking. Do you know that you don’t have to be born with any special ability or skill before you can be a confident public speaker? Learn about it here.
Wow! You are back! Welcome!
Hope you found the materials helpful? You might have noticed that most of the points are what you already know, heard or read about before.
But I hope you didn’t make the same mistake most people make? They either discard the information because they are familiar. Or they just rush over them and fail to see how they can apply the points to themselves!
The plain truth, however, is that Most of the solutions to life’s problems/challenges are simple things we already know! It’s just that we either don’t pay attention to them or we simply don’t put them to use!
If you just made that same mistake, then I advise that you go back to them.
This time around, read them more carefully. Understand them. Be absorbed in them and examine how you can apply them to your next public talk/presentation.
Please read that line again. It’s that important!
Do these and I bet, you will say bye, bye to public speaking anxiety!