How To Earn Your Readers Trust When Writing Articles
Things To Remember
There are so many articles floating around Cyberspace telling you how to earn money by writing a blog, or how to make sure your affiliate links are connected. But there seems to be one thing missing from these articles.
The fact is that the whole point of writing for the Internet is to impart information. We are the people who are supplying the information that can change a persons whole life. In other words we are the voice of knowledge.
Heavy huh? Sorry about that, but its true.
Okay, that sounds really dramatic. But you have to remember that the majority of people who use the Internet are young people. In fact the main users are anywhere between five to eighteen years of age!
Think back to the time before you started writing articles. How did you see the Internet? Did you see it as a place to maybe find the answers you were looking for, or did you think that the whole of the World’s wisdom was on there for you to read?
I bet it was the second one. it’s a very scary thought. Why? Because if the majority of people reading an article, or other articles from a less reputable site actually believe everything they are told, it could be a matter of life and death.
I know that sounds dramatic, but hear me out for a moment.
Children do not see the Internet as we adults do. To them, especially the younger ones, they see it as the Oracle, the all Seeing Eye. In other words, our articles are Law.
Now if that isn't scary I don’t know what is.
Thankfully Hubpages and its writers are a sensible lot. We write about things that interest us, but make sure that the information is correct. If we spot something that we don’t believe is correct we can flag it, or hub hop and rate it down. Either way it will get taken off.
That doesn't necessarily work on other sites though. I have read many articles that astound me with their inaccuracies.
So what’s the point of this article?
One thing and one thing only. Whoever writes for the Internet should always remember that it is people’s lives that you are holding in your hands. Every time you click Publish, you are placing something on the Internet that is going World Wide, or as they say these days, Viral.
And in every house, or every school, there will be a child who clicks on your article, whether by chance or design. And you have to make sure you have got your facts right.
Every piece of research should be checked over and over again. Never leave anything to chance. Anything from electrical information, to exactly how much pain killer to take for a headache or sore leg.
One mistake could result in either injury or death of a child or a trusting adult.
So writing for the Internet is a two way system. One, how to earn money, and that’s fine. And two, you are providing information that many people will trust. Just remember that every word, every sentence and even more importantly, every fact that you place on that page has to be true and trustworthy.
Be safe and responsible.
Where To Find The Best Information Source
- The best place to find accurate information is the Library. Make sure that the books that you take out on any subject are written by an expert in their field. Of course do not copy it word for word, but research it and take notes. Make sure that you give credit to the author if you are using a lot of their work.
- Write about subjects that you have a real knowledge of. Whether this is your job of work or maybe a hobby that you have studied for years.
- Most of us have numerous books at home on a variety of subjects. Take notes and remember to give credit once again.
- If you are going to use the Internet for information, make sure that it is a reputable site. You may have to do a bit of searching, but there are many sites that are written by experts. Once again only take notes and write the article in your own words. Its fine to take a small bit of info from them, but for goodness sake don’t copy it word for word. The authors have spent a lot of time on their research so it wouldn’t be fair to just copy and paste, apart from that it's illegal.
- And last but not least, find someone to interview. There are lots of older people out there who have had amazing experiences. And they tell a fantastic story.
So you see. It's not always about how to make money on the Internet. Its something much more important than that.
Copyright Nell Rose