- HubPages Tutorials and Community»
- Getting Traffic for Your Articles
How to Use Twitter To Get Traffic to Hubpages Hubs
Simple... Build Niche Twitter Lists and Tweet
When you write your hubs on Hubpages, they will ask you to Tweet the hub or article in Twitter. Although Twitter has its drawbacks relative to Facebook, there are two great things about Twitter - it is very easy to use and gets lots of clicks from Followers who read articles. In other words, Twitter is optimized very well for article and hub marketing. Social networking is not so much about trying to sell something. It is more about sharing information.
Many Hubpages users report poor results with Twitter, but this is because they just don't know how to build the right lists in Twitter that get lots of clicks to their hubs. After doing some research, I have found out some very good things about Twitter that will help Hubpages users get more traffic.
First, the typical Twitter user is there for information. They are not necessarily interested in buying anything (depends on the niche), but they love getting and reading information. This is a key concept to remember about social networking and perfect for Hubpages users. After all, hubs are basically just articles that are optimized for AdSense. Hubs are not designed to sell something. Rather, they exist to spread information. Thus, Twitter is the ideal platform for increasing traffic to hubs (and articles).
Second, it is very easy to find and build niche Twitter lists. Once a Hubber has the right resources, it is literally as easy as clicking a few buttons. Once the niche list is built, the Hubber need only Tweet their new hubs to the appropriate niche Twitter lists.
For those who want to get lots of traffic and money through Hubpages, they will need to build multiple niche lists in Twitter. A side benefit to the technique I am about to teach is that a Hubber can research thousands of niches and find if there is a market for that information before writing a new hub.
There are two sites you will need to be familiar with for the rest of this lesson:
About is good in case you need niche ideas. It is a niche-based expert site with a mini-site for each niche. These niches are all at least somewhat popular, as they pay their experts pretty good money to run each niche. About has good search engine results, but the good thing about using a social networking site like Twitter is that you do not have to worry about search engine rankings. You will be getting traffic from your niche Twitter lists, so search engine rankings are not relevant to this lesson.
Twellow is a Twitter directory of Twitter users and their profiles. Now, bear in mind that the users choose the categories that their profiles go under, so some of the category listings are misleading. As a result, you need to click on a profile and read some of the Tweets first before you decide whether those Followers would be interested in your hub.
Example: If you are writing a hub on travel to Spain, look for very specific Twitter users who focus on travel to Spain. Very basic travel Tweeters will be writing about travel all over the world, so this is what I call a semi-targeted list. You want a laser-targeted list of followers that are looking specifically for information about travelling to Spain.
OK, so follow these steps to build niche Twitter lists that you can use to get more traffic to your Hubpages hubs:
1. Start a Twitter profile for EACH niche (one profile per niche). You are allowed to have more than one profile. You just need to use a different email address when you open each new account. Make sure you enter information and send a couple of Tweets before you move on to the next steps. Yes, you will be Tweeting even though you have no Followers just yet.
Why? Because you just look like a spammer if you try to find Followers for a new profile that has no Tweets. For our Spain example, you can just say something like this: "I just love sightseeing in Spain. Let's share our stories and travel tips."
2. Once you have your new account/profile set up, it's now time to start building your list. There are various ways to find Followers in Twitter, some good and some bad. I am giving you what I think is the best way to find targeted niche followers for each of your hubs.
Now, go over to Twellow and use its own search engine to find lists that are relevant to your niche. At first, find the most targeted lists you can. The more targeted, generally the more clicks and traffic you will get to your niche hub.
3. Now, let's assume you have found a good Twitter user who has targeted a niche relevant to your hub. Click on that profile and find that user's Followers. You will need to be logged in at Twitter to complete this step. While logged in, you click on that user's Followers and start following them, yourself.
4. As you follow that user's followers, they will receive emails to your profile page. Invariably, a number of them will start following you. This is the nature of social networking sites. If that Twitter member sees that you are interested in the same topic for which he already has an interest, he will follow you. This is painfully easy. If you have targeted correctly, you WILL get followers. This is not rocket science. Just follow these 4 steps to build your niche Twitter lists.
5. The last step is just to go ahead and Tweet your hubs. No, not everyone will click and read your hub, but some will. In my testing, I have had about 9% click through and read my hubs or articles. Write more hubs in that niche to get more clicks and traffic and also some money from AdSense or the other affiliate programs on your hubs.
6. This last step is basically a reminder to repeat Steps 1 - 5 for more niches.
Listen. No one is going to get rich just building one hub and one niche list in Twitter. You need to expand your horizons. Multiple hubs and multiple niches are what you need to earn any kind of sizeable income. And multiple hubs within each niche allow you to get even more traffic from those same niche lists that you build in Twitter.
If you are stumped for new niches, just go to About.com and see what kinds of niches get enough traffic to be profitable. Then use Twellow to find pre-existing lists within that niche.
This is really a very simple process that, while somewhat time consuming, is a guaranteed way to take advantage of the exploding world of social networking and get more traffic to and profit from your Hubpages hubs.
For more information on this topic and other Twitter and Hubpages tips, you can follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/jimmyboyd or just bookmark the page.