- HubPages Tutorials and Community»
- Getting Traffic for Your Articles
Seeing red, the search engine crawl, moving hubs
LillyGrillzit©Copyright all rights reserved November 15, 2010, updated March 25, 2013
Sharing the wealth
The main thing about HubPages that is encouraging to the new writer, and well-seasoned writer- who in recent days past had little support, it is the HubPages community . Hubbers come from different walks of life, different belief systems , and varied backgrounds , but we are all here enriching each other's experiences.
My premier with HubPages was in July 2010. Unemployed and at wits end , with the hottest summer on record beating down on my already non-existent income, this thought kept coming to me, "I am going to write my way outta here" . Even if that means I am certifiable, that is okay too. Many things happened in succession, bringing big changes and a referral to HubPages, where I took to it like a goldfish to the water..
I have two blogs that I don't like to mention at the time, because I have neglected them terribly.These are public service type blogs, and I was hoping that one day, by an illusive formula of readers and buyers, would I attain magic earnings from AdSense.
At the end of 2006 I read Google AdSense instructions, learning how to start a blog on blogspot, and link it to AdSense. For 2 weeks and 80+ hours I read, studied, and kept linking until I got answers. I joined a few Google forums, and got a very foggy idea of earnings.
Before HubPages, I had two blogs of unique topics where I did get a lot of searches, but did not earn much money.
There are many instructional Hubs about Hubs available on HubPages
Coming to HubPages offers any writer a platform and tools to publish, and hone the writer's work. There are many instructional Hubs by administrators available on HubPages. The HubElite, editorial staff, and many other Hubbers, pass on treasures of wisdom.
There is big help for newbies.
Hubbers with time and history on HubPages, write to help other Hubbers avoid growing pains they themselves experienced. Most writers here are hoping to earn passive income, and possibly enough to live on for years to come. To do that it takes a village.
HubPages creators and staff have benefited those who would write and promote with good content. For years I have mooned after Writer/Writer.com, but their fees were out of the question for a beginning writer in my financial bracket. (This week Writer.com launched a free site for writers .) Thank you HubPages for what you have done for those who cannot help but write.
I have had an incredible increase in ad sense earnings since following the advice in this Hub
• The Point •••• The Hub is the center of the wheel. It turns and transports by the support writers give one another. By the way, my AdSense earnings are almost $40.00 after 4 months of writing on HubPages.
(Update,6.15.2011, my AdSense earnings this morning are almost $106.00) It is a lot of work, but the most rewarding I have ever done. June 1, 2011 I got my first Google AdSense payout of $106.00!
This is my gift back to you Hubbers. I learned something recently:
The APA (American Psychological Association ) Style of writing, citing and publishinghas rules for internet publishing. I learned this because as a recent geology student at a major University, we were required to abide by these rules.
- These rules are used by those who publish scholarly and technical writing .
- Internet search engines, are programed to 'read' titles by professional standards.
I have provided links and the source for these rules, but I will give you the quickie version. I made changes to all my Titles, and many Sub-titles, and my searchs of my Hubs immediately rose. In 24 hours all of my Hubs have changed places, last night when I first did it, within the hour my Hub Analytics page was many Red Arrows, meaning my Hub traffic was climbing.
- The only Capitalization of words in a sentence should be the First word, and any other proper nouns. [Yosemite National Park, Mrs. Claus, I-630 Freeway]
- No ~, -, ..., ", !, ?, (), - A question mark at the end of a sentence is okay.
- No - in between words. Use commas.
- Do your best to make your title one sentence.
- Although we want to use Capitalization for Emphasis... we are stopping the crawl of search engines with our emphasis.
- Please do not go wild and simply take my word for it. Try it on a couple of your slower moving Hubs, or Hubs that were very popular, but haven't gotten much readership.
- I am a rebel, and the rules of grammar and rule structure make me want to say y'all, and yous! I love ---- dashes, EMPHASIZING is fun when you don't have an English teacher snapping you back to reality. I do want to write full-time. for that I must be read. I want to be found.
Good Luck and the Best to each of you . Thank you for all of the kindness and help you have given me.
"Thinking and Growing Rich"
An example of a professional title, search engines will crawl
Brown, D. (1970). Bury my heart at Wounded Knee: an Indian History of the American West . New York, NY. Henry Holt and Co.
The first letter of the first word of the main title, subtitle and all proper nouns have capital letters.
This is what caught my attention. I have been playing and not being serious about Hub presentation. I flagrantly used ~'s and !, and ??? and - avoiding using standard language structure. I have been Capitalizing words for emphasis. This is playing and not being serious.
Approved writing styles
- APA Reference Style Guide (6th Edition)
The University of Waikato Library's APA reference style online guide 6th edition 2009
- University of Waikato - Approved Writing Styles I PDF File
- Paradigm Online Writing Assistant
Writing ideas and activities. This community offers help in inventing, organizing, revising, and editing essays--of special interest to nonfiction writing students and teachers
- Purdue OWL: APA Format
Writing professionally requires abiding by specifications required by leading publishers.