- HubPages Tutorials and Community»
- Help for New Hubbers
What new Hubbers can expect from HubPages
It occurred to me that a Hub such as this might be helpful as I perused a few topics in the Forum featuring posts and threads from new Hubbers. Some of these included comments and concerns that I as a veteran Hubber (having joined in 2006) hadn't considered for some time. I hope that the following information is of use for those new to HubPages, as I am a huge fan and proponent of HP and all it has to offer to aspiring writers and moneymakers.
Advice from a Veteran to a New Hubber
- It will take time before you make money. For me, it took more than a year before I actually had enough earnings to garner my first payment. From there it increased until I was making hundreds of dollars a month.
From time to time I'll see a post in the Forums from a brand-new Hubber who is disappointed or disillusioned that they are not raking in G's through their Hubbing. I say be patient and it will pay off!
Of course, I have my ups and downs and am making quite a bit less than I used to. Nonetheless...
- You get what you give. It really pays back to contribute to HubPages through comments, posts, fan mail, and more. More views and visits means more traffic and more money. There are times when I'm too busy to spend a lot of time on HubPages and it shows in my earnings.
There's a lot to learn from HubPages. I encourage you to get out there, read some Hubs, and see what there is to know that you may not have thought about before.
- Get as involved as you can. There have been many programs and contests I have participated in over the years. For instance, the Flagship program helped me write several high-quality Hubs that have earned me a lot of traffic and revenue. I entered contests and won a few hundred bucks by participating. I have been asked to serve as a judge for contests, which has been a very rewarding experience (I even got a free HubPages shirt! :) I also am a member of the HubPages Elite, which helps me gain exposure and greet new Hubbers.
It's also great to maintain friendships on HubPages. People you meet on HP can become loyal friends and fans. Which brings me to my next point...
- Value the relationships you make on HubPages. I have met a lot of great people on HubPages and have learned a lot from Hubbers around the world. Not only can you meet interesting people or people you have a lot in common with, but you can also make relationships and connections that can get you more traffic (i.e. they link to your Hub or mention you in their writing).
We are also a great resource for your questions!
- We are not trying to patronize you or put you down when we share advice or feedback. On the contrary! We want to help you be better Hubbers. HubPages is all about sharing input to help improve your presence and experience online.
I was reading a Hub by a new member, and one of the comments suggested what they could do to make the Hub better. The new Hubber replied that this was very rude, and I was taken aback because through all of my experiences on HubPages, I had never considered feedback as anything other than an effort to help me. Please understand that HubPages is all about community members helping others. The interactions with more seasoned Hubbers can prove very helpful.
- Before you start writing Hubs, make sure you know how to do them the right way. I know it's tempting to jump into it and start right away, but it will save you a lot of grief if you take the time to visit the Learning Center (see link below) and learn how to write effective Hubs, how to cite photos, and more. Also take a look at the Forums and see what insights other Hubbers have shared about their experiences.
I started with HubPages long ago when I was quite a bit younger, and I didn't realize all of the issues that were inherent in using images from the Internet that were not mine. Once I had 400+ Hubs, I realized that I needed to cite images, and there was a right way to do it. I had to go back and fix all of my Hubs, and this was quite an undertaking.
- Write from the heart. HubPages has been very meaningful to me because of the comments and feedback I've received on Hubs that I have written with no purpose other than sharing something that I am passionate about. I've gotten comments from people saying that I have truly helped them.
One that I still remember was when I first started HubPages - I had written about why I love Christmas (because Christmas is my favorite holiday and means a lot to me), and I got a message from a soldier who was serving in Afghanistan. He said that he enjoyed reading my Hub because it helped him feel like it was still Christmastime, even though he was away from his family for the holidays.
I am glad that you are part of HubPages, or considering joining, because it is a wonderful community that can really benefit you. Please let me know if you have any questions along the way, and happy Hubbing!
Learn more about HubPages
- Learning Center - HubPages.com
Articles about Learning Center on HubPages, a place where you can read and write about any topic that interests you.
- HubPages Tutorials and Community - HubPages.com
- A Guide to Proper Image Use on HubPages
Are you illegally using others' images without realizing it? Stop by this guide to learn the basics of proper image use and citation.
- Making Money on HubPages