jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Random Sentences of a Hub Copied - A Lot!

1. Judi Bee profile image90
    Judi Beeposted 4 years ago

I was checking for copies of a hub and ran a sentence, plus quotes, through Google search.  My hub came back at the top, but was followed by two pages of results.  These came from posts on blogs and entries at "Insane Journal" and "Soup io".  The sentence is used amongst whole pages of other random sentences - they are all loosely connected and there is the occasional link. 

So, does it matter that the sentence has been copied?  I tend to think not, but on the other hand, this hub has seen a downturn in views.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't worry about it myself.  Depending on topic and sentence length I don't think that that is too unusual.  In addition, I know that I have a tendency when researching to "copy" whole sentences if they are short - not copy/paste, just re-type the sentence without meaning to copy at all.  It's in my head, it's similar to language I would use and just gets typed that way.  It's something I have to pay close attention to, but others may not care so much.

Judi Beeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Soup.io encourages people to copy - its tagline is "Too creative for just a profile, way too busy to blog?" and encourages people to "remix" the web - by clicking a button, copying and adding it to their "soup".  Not sure about "Insane Journal".

Strange!

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

But soup says "Soup can aggregate everything you create online into one place, in your own style"

Personally, I'd have to say neither soup nor it's customers get it - the entire concept of plagiarism is way above their head.  Neither do they care. sad

2. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

Perhaps the best answer to your question must ultimately be your own...
    To help you look at the issue in its true perspective, consider it this way:
    If you had a pet dog that you really cared about... would you ever care for your pet enough to get rid of the Fleas that suck its life blood (traffic), free ride on its back (keywords etc) and dull its coat (uniqueness) ????  sad
    Answer it that way and it will help you set your standards in what you accept and should act upon in regard to the issue of copied content!

Thanks PD - better get some flea spray big_smile

1. Pearldiver profile image86
        Pearldiverposted 4 years agoin reply to this

And use it on a regular basis - it doesn't take too much to look after pets, irrespective of what others say... Fleas are fleas... and apathy is the pet that allows fleas to thrive... Good Luck... smile

3. Greekgeek profile image98
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

Unlike scraper sites sites as soup, .li and Pinterest, which actively encourage their members to steal other people's work and repost it without permission, InsaneJournal is one of many pre-MySpace journal-based communities by and for writers, in which you communicate with friends by writing diary posts and/or sharing your creative writing.

So that member is obviously abusing InsaneJournal as well as your content.

Either way, it needs to be reported and taken down. I suspect it's probably a bot copying random content, then inserting links into it, as a very stupid way to create backlinks to promote some other website.

Thanks Greekgeek - I'd not heard of either site until today.  I'll contact the site admins.

4. brakel2 profile image83
    brakel2posted 4 years ago

What will they think of next?  I would agree that I don't want one sentence of my original material copied to support their game.

working