Amazon Affiliate Program was CANCELLED (by Amazon?) for some states

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

I tried to add an amazon capsule to a hub the other day. Hm. No results. In fact, a search on "book" turned up no results. Very interesting. The hub tool must be broken.

Later, I went to check on my Amazon earnings account and found that it had been closed. Just "closed". The following message appears on that page:

Note: Residents of Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, North Carolina or Rhode Island are not eligible to participate in the Associates program.

Does anyone know why I now need to waste time reworking hubs to remove the Amazon links and capsules? Why these particular states? Why were we given no notice by whomever pulled the plug? How are we supposed to make up the difference in revenue? Ebay is good for many things, but for some things you want to recommend specific books (that you know will always be in stock) or similar things. Ebay is nice for making money, not so nice for specific references that add to your hub's value since the item may/may not be available at any given time.

What's up with this??

1. galleryofgrace profile image70
      galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This has been happening for quite some time. There should be several threads on this subject.  It all has to do with collecting sales tax.

2. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For an answer, ask your state legislature.  They have declared that YOU are a "physical presence" of Amazon in your state, and thus Amazon is required to collect state sales tax for them and remit it to the state.  Amazon promptly canceled your affiliation so that they do not have to put out the money and effort to collect taxes for your state.  Yours is far from the first state to make that ridiculous assertion, and you are far from the first person to lose income due to their stupidity.

So ask your legislature how you are to make for the lost income, along with the state taxes you would have paid on it.

As far as deleting Amazon hubs; they do you no harm, and HP will earn a small bit from them.  In the meantime, the federal government is working on the problem, along with Amazon, to make it required for ALL internet sales outfits to collect taxes for ALL states, not just the ones they have that "physical presence" in.  If and when it goes into effect, your affiliation will undoubtedly be reinstated.

Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the 411, Wilderness!

Actually, the Amazon capsules just started showing up totally blank on my existing sites a few days ago, and my account was active on Amazon until about a week ago, so this was news to me.

Sorry for not finding this information out on my own earlier; I don't often write hubs that apply to Amazon capsules so it was a mystery/shock to me. I searched the forums but didn't find anything about Amazon going away for certain states. I'm really bummed, though, because my Amazon links were key to several hubs I've written.

Glad to hear they're working on leveling the playing field, even if it means taxes for all. (bleah)  I don't see how taxes can be avoided, with all of the e-commerce, but it's still a nasty business.

Cheers! Thanks again!

1. Abby Campbell profile image73
          Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My state (North Carolina) has been a pain in the neck when it comes to Amazon, but state legislature is working on this, as I'm sure the other states are too. I still use the Amazon capsule when it comes to promoting my own book, though I don't receive earnings through HubPages. Thanks for letting us know that the capsules were showing up blank. I went to check a few of my hubs to see if the same happened, but they are all still there. That would definitely be a pain to change all those hubs you have affiliate links in. Hopefully, the Amazon issue will be resolved soon.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

It was not exactly a sudden event.  Some of those states were dumped years ago.  So you either plug them for free, or ditch the capsules.

The capsules are showing up just plain empty on my sites now, so I'm not even plugging them for free: they're just wasting space and ruining formatting. Thanks for the insight! Cheers!

2. Laura Schneider profile image84

Ah! Sorry, I didn't realize this. My state must have just been dumped recently as my capsules were still populating a few weeks ago, and my account was active.

3. Laura Schneider profile image84

I don't hang out in the forums much (obviously not enough)--I just like writing and asking/answering questions. Plus, there's nothing in the Learning Center about the Amazon capsule not working for some states, so it was sudden for me: all of my capsules turned up blank, and my page layouts are bizarre now and need to be redone (sigh). My account with Amazon was active just a few days ago, so I didn't see this coming. (My bad--check out the forums more often. :-) )

Some of those resources I would plug for free for some key articles, but that's not even an option (how many people check things out if there isn't a live link RIGHT THERE?). I'll give it a try, but don't hold out much hope of user follow-through. Wish me luck! (There go my book review/recommendation stats...)

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

There are other platforms such as zujava where you don't need to be Amazon affiliate. Instead, you use their modules and split commissions with the site.  Squidoo is same way but a lot of issues there right now.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

There is also another program called viglink.  Similar to CJ, Share a sale, etc but you don't have to apply to each merchant.

Cool--never heard of this, but I'm going to definitely research it now! Thanks!

5. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 10 years ago

Welcome to the Nexus tax mess in whicb our own state legislatures try to get too greedy, wanting to tax those purchases as if we were running a brick-and-mortar store in their state (a "nexus") -- and making the affiliate program much more costly to run in their state so that Amazon pulls out. I wrote a hub on alternatives to Amazon Associates when this happened in California a few years ago. Luckily California and Amazon eventually came to an sgreement, so my Associates account was reinstated.

Do write your legislators explaining how this is depriving you of a livelihood and their state of tax dollars, since you can't pay income tax or BUY things from local businesses with the income you lost to their idiotic Nexus Tax.

So glad to hear that your account was reinstated due to the state and Amazon coming to an agreement. "Knock on wood" for Minnesota for me! I will definitely write my legislators on this, thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully all of the states can find some agreement with Amazon. Good luck, everyone!

6. profile image0
    cairennrhysposted 9 years ago

Amazon resellers were being railroaded by those states. I live in IL and discovered that IL wanted to begin what was essentially double taxation on all Amazon resellers. So Amazon fought back and yanked the contracts with those states that were trying to screw over the resellers and their customers. Obviously, something has changed because IL has now been allowed back in the game. But I smell a rat!

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Another way to put it is: The corner store has to pay state tax, Amazon thinks they are too powerful to do the same. 

Having your state blocked is a PITA, but Amazon should pay their tax like everyone else.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not at all: Amazon does not owe any tax.  The buyer does and the state wants to force Amazon to collect it for them, doling it back out to each locality according to how much was bought by people living there.

And Amazon says "No, I'm not your bookkeeping service.  You want your money, collect it yourself".

2. profile image0
        cairennrhysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It was the states that were causing the problem by wanting to collect sales tax twice...from the customer, then again from Amazon. States wanted Amazon to pay tax, after it was already collected by the reseller paid by the customer. The states deserved to be cut off. IL is one of the worst as far as taxes.

7. profile image0
    cjnileskiposted 9 years ago

That sounds a little unfair.  Seems to me Amazon should be good for all states.  They have no problem taking your money from those mentioned states if you are buying something off their site.

1. profile image0
      cairennrhysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But the states were much worse in trying to double tax each purchase from its residents. Shame on them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)