jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Images

1. profile image0
    Doug Vehovecposted 3 years ago

I'm quite green here, but I did look around first and did not see the answer to my question.

I completely understand and have no problem with proper attribution for images, but based on what the Learning Center says about acceptable images and what I see on other hubs, it does not seem to jive.

To be more specific, I primarily write about comics and comic creators, and I was under the impression one could not simply include images of comic art that were not public domain.  But on other hubs I see this all the time.  They are attributed to their source material, but not the artist or copyright holder per se.  For example, I've seen pictures of Spider-Man that are attributed to the particular comic issue where it is from, but it doesn't attribute the artist specifically.

Obviously, I would love to include better images than the scare Wikimedia Commons selections or photos of my tablet screen that I took myself.

So what's the official correct way to go about this?

Thank you in advance.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image74
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It really depends upon the specific image and the copyright.
      If the image is not public domain, then you will need to attribute the image according to the copyright owner's requirements.
      Especially in cases of commercial use, which having revenue generating ads falls under, you may not be able to use the image without specific permission from the copyright holder.

Simply referencing the issue number is not sufficient and even if you attribute the actual artist, using the image may still violate the copyright.

Ultimately, the best procedure would be to contact the copyright holder and see if you can obtain permission to use such images.

There are of course exceptions for fair use, but those are somewhat narrow parameters and even simply having ads on a Hub could invalidate a fair use claim.

2. profile image0
    Doug Vehovecposted 3 years ago

Thank you for the helpful response!

Follow-up question: what about photos taken of other works?  For example, is it acceptable to take a photo of a comic that I own and use that image?  Seems like it would be a grey area, or maybe not?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image74
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You need to ask the copyright holder's permission.
      Copyright many times cover photos of copyright works as they are a reproduction of the original material.

3. swilliams profile image84
    swilliamsposted 3 years ago

Here is a link that should be of help regarding the kind of images that may use for your articles.
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/lega … d_15012674

1. profile image0
      Doug Vehovecposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thx, I've referred to that many times; it's a bit murky regarding my specific question there.
      I see several photos attributed to amazon.com for example, is that acceptable?  It doesn't seem to follow the guidelines on that link.

To be honest I wish it were in plainer language.

1. swilliams profile image84
        swilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

photos taken of other works?  For example, is it acceptable to take a photo of a comic that I own and use that image?
        To stay on the safe side it is best if you contact the artist and ask for permission, sometimes the artist or company will allow you to showcase their work as long as you include their information, however it is always wise to consult the owner or company first.

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

It is generally okay to show the cover as a way of identifying a book or comic.  Otherwise look for the images made available for publicity by the publisher.

working