jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)

What am I doing wrong, what am I doing right? Feedback.

1. StephanPoe profile image78
    StephanPoeposted 2 years ago

Hello fellow hubbers. I'm new in Hubpages, 2 weeks to be more precise. I've written 6 hubs, 4 of them are featured, 1 of them is recent and still waiting for approval and the other one was not featured. I would like, if possible, some feedback on what I am doing right and what I'm doing wrong. Specially on my latest hub How To Make Money Translating Online Also I would like to know how do you guys get views, social traffic, organic traffic, do you just publish a hub and hope for the best. Do you spam your hub link in social media as much as possible?

Also what does this 81 on my photo mean?

Thank you for your attention smile

2. WryLilt profile image82
    WryLiltposted 2 years ago

1. Featured doesn't mean anything. It just means it's live.
    2. The most important part of your hub is your title.
    3. Traffic increases with time - build up a good pile of hubs now, it will show dividends in 3-6 months.
    4. I rarely promote. Generally I write, then leave it alone to sink or swim. If it's doing well in six months, I'll come back and either improve it, lengthen it or promote it.
    5. 81 is your hubber score. Hub and hubber scores have no impact on the world outside Hubpages and are no indication of quality, traffic or earning potential.

StephanPoeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

So if being featured doesn't mean anything and hubber score also doesn't mean anything. How can I tell if I'm producing good quality hubs?

Yes I am aware traffic will come with time, that is why I try to post 3 hubs per week and pile up some decent content. Although I'm afraid I may be creating bad content which won't drive any attention...

Thank you for your anwser WryLilt, cheers smile

1. WryLilt profile image82
        WryLiltposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Quality is a part of traffic, but definitely not everything. You can have a 2500 word hub with 15 high res images and get 2 views/day.

Or you can have a niche hub of 300 words (Like mine on Julia Gillard's long earlobes) which still gets traffic years later even though it's not really evergreen.

The most important thing is finding a topic that lots of people want answers to but no one has written content about. OR make it the best of its type online. I've had success with both.

Google Suggest is a great way to find niche topics no one is writing about.

Well I have been writing content I'm interested on and I have some knowledge which I can share. Unfortunately, what is of interest to us may not be to others.

How did a hub about Julia Gillard earlobes got continous traffic? Hmm that got me wondering. Maybe nobody wrote on that subject before. (I just google it and your hub comes first on the search, on a different search came in third.) You owned that weird nich xD

Thanks for your time and suggestionl, I will surely try Google Suggest wink

She has hugely long earlobes and I wrote it just for fun the night she was in a big televised debate. Turns out, everyone else wanted to know more about her lobes too!

There's no reason you can't write about what interests you IF you can find an angle not covered elsewhere.

Give me two topics and I'll show you some Google Suggest ideas.

And it is evergreen because she will always have long earlobes xD
              (when she dies you are getting a ton of traffic)

Well my main topics are quadcopters (drones) and translation

(love you already)

Looks like quadcopters are relatively new so not stacks of info out there - good topic then. Some that jump out at me with low comp/unrelated comp are:

*Are quadcopters easy to fly?
                *Why are quadcopters so expensive?
                *When was the quadcopter invented?

Remember that you can also put some of these topics together for longer hubs, using some of the questions as subtitles, thus increasing traffic from multiple searches.

Awesome thanks for your time! But actually I think I'm starting a blog on quadcopters maybe it would be better money wise. I already own one in my native language. I was thinking about making hubpages my little corner for quads info and reviews, but a blog sounds better.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image93
          DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Google suggest???  Is that another new thing they have?  I've not heard of it, nor do I know where to find it...please elaborate.
          Thanks!

I'm actually thinking I need to do a Youtube video and hub on how I use it. It's how I generate most of my daily 10,000 pregnancy site visitors. Essentially, it's using the "Google drop down suggestions" that come up as you type into Google. Very much under used, coz people are so obsessed with the Keyword Planner (Which I hate and rarely use.)

1. sallybea profile image97
              sallybeaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

WryLilt
              I would love to see a Youtube video on how to use it - when you have the time:)

I just thought about it, Google screencast programs, couldn't find a good one, so wrote a hub instead. smile

1. sallybea profile image97
                  sallybeaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Nice one, is it published yet?

I would also like to read this hub, Is it published?

3. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago

Welcome to HubPages, Stephan. You are off to a great start.  Writing quality hubs is the best way to get traffic, and it looks like you are doing that. Your titles look like they are well-crafted to tell what your hub is about.  Your translation hub also has a lot of valuable information you can provide the reader, and is laid out attractively.

I would recommend that you check your spelling and grammar thoroughly.  Use the checker on Word, or one of the online grammar checkers. In your translation hub, you mention that you learn your foreign language from "constant contact with media " and movies and books.  I'm not sure how much you can learn just from these sources without actively attempting to learn a new language. I would imagine that you would have to be well versed in the language before you can be a translator. Maybe you can take the learning part out, and just focus on the translation part.

I would also recommend putting labels on the images to explain what they are. It's a good place to also put in key words. You should also make it a practice to identify the source of your images.  If you got it yourself, although you are not required to do so, it helps to say that it is your image.

Also in your How ISIS treats pets, you should cite your sources for this information.  ISIS is an organization, not a culture.  And it seems like you are confusing the religion with this organization. The "cruelty in the name of religion" section talks generally about abuse, but doesn't identify any specific instances or examples of actual abuse. In that hub, you do source your images, but you are using copyrighted images, which is a no-no.

Hello, thanks for the great tips! I agree, I should take out the learning part from the translation hub, gonna do that when I have a lil bir of time.

About identifying the sources I did that with how ISIS Treats pets hub, but I didn't do it with translation hub because the images are logos of companies so I didn't think they needed a source.

About how ISIS Treats pets, it's a organization known for their extreme interpretation of holy texts and consequently barbaric acts, so I thought explaining the culture would be needed for the reader to understand why they do what they do and why they think it's OK.

Once again thank you for taking the time to read them and giving your opinion.  Love you already

working