Please Help! Can't get unfeatured hub (70s hubscore) featured.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. nomadspirit profile image95
    nomadspiritposted 7 years ago

Every hub I have ever written was immediately published. My most recent hub keeps getting unfeatured even after several fixes. I have edited, clarified etc but just can't seem to figure out exactly what to fix. Just to give more info, the initial hub score was 75,  now it is about 72. Those scores have gotten me featured before!
    Can anyone help. Here is link http://hubpages.com/travel/Starring-Jam … in-Jamaica

1. galleryofgrace profile image70
      galleryofgraceposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My only guess is that you are using  photos you do not have permission to use.

2. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The problem is with the links. Are they necessary? Try removing them, wait for the hub to be featured, and then adding them back one-by-one.

You must also make sure your images are legal-to-use and accredited as per HP requirements.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I took a look, and I think I may see your problem.

The writing in this hub is so professional that it goes far beyond the norm seen here on the HP site.  I researched several sites about Jamaica scenery and movies that were filmed there and several times found terms that are exact duplicates of those you use.

While your hub may, in fact, be totally yours, I think it's suspect for being spun.  The team has stressed time and again that all work here must be totally original.

I would contact the team to find out why this hub is not being published, but I'm betting that's the reason.  If this is your original work, you're one heck of a writer!

nomadspiritposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Exact duplicates ? Timetraveller, I would love to take I look at the 'exact duplicates' if u remember those sites. Anyway, this is all mine!   I found this morning that the hubpages feedback had gone into my spam. The suggestions from the reviewer are spelling, grammar,punctuation and fact checking ( mistake on actresses' name I think) .When describing my country, I do have a habit of using unconventional structures to convey the beauty in my mind's eye.  I will try editing.
        To get back to your point timetraveller, If The problem is duplicate content, is there ( 1) a duplicate content warning that such material triggers? and (2) would the reviewer/ moderator not have mentioned that? Thanks for your help!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

It was just a guess.  What spelling, grammar, etc. they found I'd like to know.  I didn't see anything along those lines, which is why I thought duplicate or spinning might be the problem.  If they didn't mention that, then obviously it was not the issue.  I would email them and ask them specifically to point out the problem areas to you.  You write beautifully, so I can't see anything that would keep this article from being published.

4. MarleneB profile image91
      MarleneBposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I like your style of writing. It is smooth and full of life. The content is worthy of being read.

However, I just read the first two paragraphs and discovered some small grammar and formatting errors. For example, the use of the word "unto" versus "onto." These two words have different meanings. "Onto" would seem to be more appropriate.

I also saw a formatting error. For example, "1.Laughing..." versus "1. Laughing..." There should be an extra space after the number.

I did not read the whole hub and don't want to be overly critical. The subject is beautiful. I would ask an editor to help with editing it, because the HubPages editors are correct in their charge that there are grammatical and structural issues.

Thanks a lot! I can use this criticism. I was looking at the 'unto' too. I was also thinking the term 'half a century' should be replaced with 'half of a century' I will go through with a fine tooth comb this time. Thx!

1. MarleneB profile image91

Thank you, nomadspirit, for not being offended. I only want to help. Yes, going through it again - with a critical eye will help with the very minor things I saw.

I would add... take a look at the paragraph headings as the structures do not match. For example, "1.Laughing Waters Beach---James Bond’s Dr. No" does match in structure to "2. Dunn's River Waterfalls--- Dr. No." Look at spacing. Also, may I suggest that you remove the three dashes and just use a single dash or hyphen.

The content is beautiful, so it's just little things that hold it under HubPage's scrutiny.

2. simplehappylife profile image68
    simplehappylifeposted 7 years ago

Overall, I think it's a great article. I believe the title is too long, though (it's perfectly acceptable to use 7 instead of seven in the title as well).  Maybe something like "7 Jamaican Locations You've Seen In the Movies"  or "7 Must See Movie Locations in Jamaica", I don't know, I'm just throwing out some ideas smile 

I hope that helps smile

3. simplehappylife profile image68
    simplehappylifeposted 7 years ago

OH!  You don't have a photo for number 6 or number 7 sad

4. nomadspirit profile image95

theraggededge, thanks for taking time to help! Are there restrictions on links that add value to a hub? I thought the restriction was on spammy links.
    I just need some clarification as I dovsome travel articles and I like adding links to give more guidance on my planning an actual visit.

5. nomadspirit profile image95

Simplehappylife, I am glad you liked the article. I agree that the title isn't ideal, I will work on that! Thx for your help.

1. simplehappylife profile image68
      simplehappylifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You're Welcome smile

6. nomadspirit profile image95

Thank you galleryofgrace,  I will check to see if the ones that aren't mine are properly attributed. That may actually be it as this was my first time not using photos I own.

7. nomadspirit profile image95

Also, theraggededge, I have another question. If I removed the links, and it got featured. Wouldn't it just get unfeatured when I add the links back? I'm not sure how the system works, so forgive me if the answer to this question is common knowledge!

8. chasmac profile image91
    chasmacposted 7 years ago

Beautifully descriptive writing, but if you're still looking for typos, here are a few:

"... where the gorgeous beach is complimented [complemented] by equally magnificent waterfalls."

"The Falls [falls] stand at a whopping 180 feet, [no comma needed] and is [are] ..."

"The waterfalls feature safety rails for viewing them, but, [no comma needed] for the best experience take a hike into the actual waterfall."

"Then it goes pass [past] forest green fauna [flora] growing on the ..."

"This probably explains why the exotic, dangerous looking caves were the setting for the climatic [climactic] death of Dr. Kananga [comma needed] who inflates like a balloon after he is forced to ingest [a?] bullet.

"Green Grotto is no picturesque beach, but its dramatic formations is [are] a lesson in what the rustic side of a natural paradise looks like.

"As a little girl driving pass [past] the Lagoon [lagoon], this writer ..."

"Scary rumors apart, the Blue Lagoon is striking in it's (its) vivid coloring."

"This unusual coloring may explain the best rumor about the Lagoon [lagoon]."

"... where Cameron Diaz asks: "how [How] did I get into this bathing suit [question mark needed]" as Tom Cruise emerges ..."

"Those looking for quiet laze, [no comma needed] on the beach (comma needed) which is known for being secluded and quiet.

"Frenchman's Cove beach [Beach (if it's part of the name)] is located in the town of Port Antonio [comma needed] which is a ..."

"Listen to the music of rushing water complimented [complemented] by the chirps ..."

I was also going to point out "Which Fully Filmed in Jamaica" in one of your subtitles and somewhere else, instead of "Was Filmed" and "been filmed" but maybe it's correct in your country's English. It wouldn't be correct in British English unless it's one of those modern changes nobody bothered to tell me about LOL.

THANKS, Chasmac. Some of your suggestions--particularly the correction from compliment to complement--  will help me today and forever.
      By the way, the article was finally featured!

9. nomadspirit profile image95

UPDATE: Hub finally got featured!
    Thx for the suggestions. I took your advice, and took away one of the links, properly attributed a phot, corrected several structural problems etc.
    Thanks again to all!

1. MarleneB profile image91

This is very good news, nomadspirit. Thank you for the update.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)