jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

adding the copyright notice—good or bad idea?

1. letstalkabouteduc profile image99
    letstalkabouteducposted 2 weeks ago

On the forums, I've seen a difference of opinion about adding the copyright notice to our hubs at the bottom. I've been doing it as a way to protect myself from plagiarizers. However, I read it doesn't do much good. Plus, when we add the copyright, it makes our hubs seem dated if they weren't written in 2017. What do you think?

2. Glenn Stok profile image100
    Glenn Stokposted 2 weeks ago

In my opinion, it never hurts to have it. Nevertheless, the fact is that everything you publish is  copyrighted anyway. Besides all that, plagiarists who want to steal will steal no matter what. As for looking dated, no need to worry because the last updated date is noted right at the top of all your hubs.

3. letstalkabouteduc profile image99
    letstalkabouteducposted 2 weeks ago

Thanks, Glenn. I'll keep them.

4. LongTimeMother profile image99
    LongTimeMotherposted 2 weeks ago

Turning on the copyright notice on every article is essential because there's an awful lot of people out there who don't understand about copyright being automatic. The notice will deter some. Plus I think it helps when the time comes to file DMCAs.  It shows you've made an effort to protect your copyright.

In case you aren't aware, it is the most recent updated date that shows in search results, not your original copyright date. I can't see any reason not to add copyright.

1. letstalkabouteduc profile image99
      letstalkabouteducposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate it.

working