jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

How many people should you follow? Can you truly 'follow' thousands of other aut

1. Rebecca2904 profile image78
    Rebecca2904posted 5 years ago

How many people should you follow? Can you truly 'follow' thousands of other authors?

I've seen a couple of profiles today that show the users were following 8000+ people. I had to ask myself whether someone could truly be that involved in Hubpages, reading and commenting on so many Hubs, and taking an active interest in what those authors were writing? I know that some people follow others with the hope of getting followers themselves, but I heard that can affect Hubscore. Personally I only follow around 20 people, whose Hubs I regularly read and comment on. If someone follows me then I check out their Hubs and maybe leave comments, but only follow back if I'm truly interested

2. Ddraigcoch profile image81
    Ddraigcochposted 5 years ago

That may well have been a mods profile.
    I don't think it can hurt if you genuinely like to see all the variation. Usually I will add people but then if they annoy me with really low rate stuff I will stop following them.
    There are a few that shine through but then you KNOW they are good because they shine through so many.
    Following like crazy can affect your hubscore but some have collected plenty over a few years, not over night.

Rebecca2904posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate that the longer you're a member of Hubpages, the more people you will come across and probably decide to follow, but some of the people I've come across who follow thousands of people had only been members for a few weeks.

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

The answer is "no, but it doesn't matter." HubPages could have rules, like Twitter, that sets a ratio between followers and following, but it does not. A low author score is the only consequence of following indiscriminately, so that is easy to ignore or circumvent. I agree with your criteria, Rebecca, which is also in line with what the FAQ have to say on the matter.

Thanks for your answer! I think if someone follows thousands of people then it's quite likely they're following indiscriminately, especially if they've only been a member for a few weeks or months.

2. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome! Once again, I agree, and their author score may take a hit for it.

4. Claudia Tello profile image78
    Claudia Telloposted 5 years ago

I use exactly the same criteria as you do. I do not follow to get followers, that just does not feel good to me. I follow whenever I am truly interested in the work of a hubber and especially when I think I might learn something from them. I also look with a suspicious eye people who follow so many hubbers. Now that this data shows on the profile that might change a bit.

Hopefully! It always makes me feel a bit sad when someone starts following me... along with the thousand or so other people they're following as well, especially when they don't leave a comment or anything. Thanks for commenting!

5. spartucusjones profile image94
    spartucusjonesposted 5 years ago

If I stumble across a hub that I really enjoy reading, I will then check out their profile and possibly read more of their hubs, and then maybe follow them. When someone follows me I will check out their profile, one or two of their hubs, and then decide if I want to follow. I am also in the hubpages apprenticeship program, so I have decided to follow everyone on my apprenticeship team, because I feel it is important to have that team support.

Periodically if my hubpages feed becomes to cluttered, or if I am following too many hubbers to keep up with, I may choose to unfollow a few (nothing personal, just housekeeping).

Thanks for answering! I think your policy is pretty much the same as mine, though I normally only check out a new follower's Hubs if they leave a comment, if they don't it seems a bit like they're just hoping to get a new follower for themselves.

6. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 4 years ago

I think they cannot be that involved with 1,000 people, let alone 8,000 or more. Perhaps that person hoped to get a percentage of these people to follow them or read their hubs? It's also possible that they thought it would boost their income/views. I don't follow to get followers. There has to be an interest and if my interests change or their topics do, I will unfollow.

working