jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Firewall And Virus protection

1. aoiffe379 profile image57
    aoiffe379posted 7 years ago

Recently, for some strange reason, I could not get my computer to boot up.I unplugged everything and found something to do.This was upsetting in a way as I had planned to participate in the HubMovers this week.Now the opportunity is gone.

Anyhow, when I did get the computer to start up I got a warning about viruses and trojans- malware.I checked to find out how this could be.My firewall is off and it would not turn on.Something from projectbasedbrowsing.com wanted to install.Windows deleted it but it keeps popping up to tell me that I have viruses, trojans, malware.

Windows is set to update everyday at 6:00 P.M and I have ThreatFire that works in the background.My computer at work does not even boot up.I have Windows7 that I purchased recently with a noteboook. Would changing Windows XP to Windows 7  help this problem?

I have deleted cookies,temporary files; and I am deleting recently downloaded files.Any help you can give would be appreciated.I need my desktop computer to function properly.

1. Eileen Hughes profile image87
      Eileen Hughesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If it is something that happened recently then you could do a system restore.
      To do this click on programs. click on accessories then click on system restore.  and restore it to a date previous to this problem.
      It will not delete any of your saved work.  I have done this before and it has helped.
      Other than that I would download a free AVG

2. Eileen Hughes profile image87
      Eileen Hughesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If it is something that happened recently then you could do a system restore.
      To do this click on programs. click on accessories then click on system restore.  and restore it to a date previous to this problem.
      It will not delete any of your saved work.  I have done this before and it has helped.
      Other than that I would download a free AVG

2. Leelin profile image59
    Leelinposted 7 years ago

Check out this hub, it worked for me. http://hubpages.com/hub/How-I-Cleaned-My-Computer

3. IzzyM profile image91
    IzzyMposted 7 years ago

I looked up "projectbasedbrowsing.com " in google and found this site near the top - http://freepcsecurity.co.uk/2009/12/05/ … cember-05/
    Among others they recommend using Malwarebytes anti-malware. I use the free version of that particular program and can recommend it:)

4. aoiffe379 profile image57
    aoiffe379posted 7 years ago

Thank you  all for your advice. Nothing has improved yet. In fact, my connection is 'timing out' every time I connect to HubPages! My System Restore is not opening from Start nor Accessories.When i click on System Restore I see the arrow and hour glass. After a few minutes the hour glass disappears. I wait but System Restore does not open. Control Panel and Help & Support are not opening. Add and Remove has nothing in it. I deleted some icons from the desktop so that Windows would tell me to go to Add& Remove. They are in the Recycle Bin

I went to the hub and read it, downloaded the Malwarebytesanti-malware. It found item after a scan which told about rogue tools and rogue whatever. When I tried to remove them the computer froze- Not Responding. I tried it last night and twice today and got the same response. Why is nothing opening? How can I restore my system?

Since Malwarebytes kept freezing the computer I have deleted the icon and sent it to Recycle Bin.

5. Leelin profile image59
    Leelinposted 7 years ago

You need to download and run Avast as well. It's what will find Trojans and things like that. I once had a Trojan (I think) just taking over my computer as I sat and watched. I downloaded Malwarebytes, ran it and sat and watched whatever was taking over get taken over and deleted by the Malwarebytes.
    Also take the geeks up on their offer of telling them of your computer woes and let them decide the best way to fix it.

6. Stephanietayla profile image56
    Stephanietaylaposted 7 years ago

working