jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What's with all the content scraping lately? What are your general thoughts on H

1. Sharicey profile image61
    Shariceyposted 4 years ago

What's with all the content scraping lately? What are your general thoughts on HP?

As of lately I feel like I'm seeing a lot of talk about content scraping. That matched with the hurdles of making money on HP is starting to make me wonder is this worth it? I enjoy writing when I have the time to do it and I truly enjoy the HP community. I feel like I'm starting to loose the motivation to carve out the time to keep up with it. I was just wondering what other people thought and how they feel about HP?

2. Abby Campbell profile image93
    Abby Campbellposted 4 years ago

Content scraping isn't HubPages fault. Unfortunately, there are millions of websites on the internet, and you're going to have thieves at any site if it's of any worth. If you find your content being stolen, then you need to report it to the DMCA.

Hurdles of making money on HP? I don't know how much money you're looking to make on HP, but you have to continually provide stellar hubs. This will bring you traffic through Google or Bing searches. You may also do your own advertising through social mediums. Most writers won't make enough of an income for daily living. So, you have to really think about your priorities. If money is the only reason why you've been writing on HubPages, and you're not doing well with that, you may want to consider another source of employment.

As far as me personally, I love HubPages. I've written for other sites, and I have to say that HubPages is the best in terms of user-friendliness, education, communication, allowing the writer to express freely, and social community. They have the full package, and I highly recommend them. (And, NO, I'm not paid to say this.)

1. Sharicey profile image61
      Shariceyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, similarly to you I enjoy the community that HP fosters. Great advice. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

2. Abby Campbell profile image93
      Abby Campbellposted 4 years agoin reply to this

No problem. Have a wonderful day, Sharicey!

3. profile image0
    chrisinhawaiiposted 4 years ago

It's been a problem for a long time, but it's not just a HubPages thing.  It happens all over the web.

I have one account (this one) that has been copied a lot, and I believe that has caused Google to steer traffic away from my hubs.  That sucks.  But I have another account that is doing fine and gets almost all of its traffic from Google.  But on that account, I don't have any followers, I don't follow anyone, I don't comment or interact with anyone.  I just publish hubs and let Google bring people to me.

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I do wish they could come up with a way to keep articles from being cut and pasted off the site. I found four of mine on other sites recently. It breaks my heart because we work so hard and then to have someone steal the work is just horrible.

I enjoy Hubpages but I am seriously thinking about not posting anymore hubs due to the theft issue.

1. Susana S profile image97
      Susana Sposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Most of the stealing is not done through "cut and paste", but through automated scraping software which is impossible to stop.

working