jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How do I get permission to use a Google image for a HP article?

1. Joel Diffendarfer profile image94
    Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years ago

How do I get permission to use a Google image for a HP article?

2. askformore lm profile image69
    askformore lmposted 3 years ago

First: I am not certain what you mean by "a Google image". 
    If you mean any image that you have found using Google to find "any image", then you can't use that image unless you the owner of the image clear has written that you may use it for any purpose. If you can't find such a general permit (e.g. "creative commons") then you must contact the owner for permission to use it for free (or for an agreed price).
    It is a common misunderstanding that one can freely use whatever is found on the Internet.

Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years agoin reply to this

thanks...I'm looking for how about asking for permission...how do I contact the owner of the pic(s) I want to use...(and yes, I was refering to Google Images...but, the same applies to other places I find the "perfect" pics...again, thanks

2. askformore lm profile image69
      askformore lmposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It's not easy. A good place to start is the images on Wikipedia. Their images are mostly creative commons. Click on any "WikiImage" this could be you gateway to "learn to find pics"

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

As a rule of thumb, you shouldn't use any image you find on a google image search. It's best to use your own personal photos and artwork, and acceptable to use stock photos and images from wikimedia commons. If you're set on using a picture you got from google images, then you would have to go back to google and locate the picture, then find what website it came from. Go to that website and try to find a 'contact us' button or an email address. Then ask whoever is connected to that website it they have the rights to that image and whether or not you can use it in your hub. The drawback to this is that finding the original creator of the image is difficult and there is a good chance the email will go unnoticed or ignored.

Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years agoin reply to this

thanks...yes, I prefer my own pics and generated graphics...this points me in the right direction

working