Freeform Help Thread

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Jessie L Watson profile image59
    Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years ago

I've decided to make a daily commitment (M-F) of posting a "help thread" on the freeform discussion for users to get help from the community. I understand there are places and forums designed for this but there has been an issue with relevant content coming up on the main forum page. A Hubpages official said that there will NOT be any changes to said forum page.

By posting a help thread Monday through Friday, it should increase the chance of someone browsing the forum page to get the help they need. Everyone can respond by helping answering questions directly or redirecting hubbers to the appropriate forum. This might only work if my daily help posts aren't redirected elsewhere. If so, we are back at square one. I'm just trying to do my part to make do with what we have.

2. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

Jessie, please do not do this big_smile I see the intention here. But all threads show on the forum https://hubpages.com/forum/hubpages the freeform discussion threads also show. The only reason people are complaining is that new threads are pushed lower by threads on games, etc. Not that they are bad, just that it would be nice to categorise stuff now that the QnA section is gone.

If you start a new thread for no good reason (I mean no fixed topic) this is just going to push any other threads where people ask for help further down the queue, thereby negating your intention with an added negative effect (that the actual question of the person is being pushed down).

Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

My logic is that since freeform discussions show up there the most, then its worth a shot. I guess there's nothing we can do but accept what it is. Would you agree that it would be better than what is already taking up space? 

Time to abort already? What a dismal place this has been over the last couple days...

3. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

This is where you are wrong, because you do not come to the forum directly, but read your feed instead.

"freeform discussions show up there the most" no they do not. This is not a feed where things show up. Every post shows up on the forum threads, just that there are a lot more discussions happening in the freeform discussions forum topic such as games, opinion requests, and more that people who ask for help and other helpful posts that would help people who want to improve their articles get burried.

So if I were to come to the forums say once in 24 hours I have a 60% (random number) chance of seeing important threads. But if I visit every few days, I would most likely miss out on a lot of helpful stuff. Most writers here do not have the time to check out the forum every day. So it is important that topics that help people related to Hubpages have a higher standing than other discussions.

1. theraggededge profile image87
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Exactly what I have been trying to explain. I think you did a better job smile

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hehe

2. Jessie L Watson profile image59

The page that I was shown has a right-hand side entitled "most recent" or something to that effect. The forum page. I'm not talking about my feed. But it certainly seems to operate like a feed.

Okay, so this filters things chronologically and it doesn't seem to matter where it comes from.

You obviously understand this whole set-up more than I do therefore I will take your word in good faith and not do my proposed daily thread. God forbid I try to do something rather than engage with people are just plain angry all the time. I've never had such a difficult time trying to do something nice for people.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Emotions cannot be transmitted through words, Jessie. It's hard. I'm not angry If you read my first post again, you will see that I said it's a good intention, but your action would go against your own intention. I'm not mad and I'm not angry at you or anyone.

Yes, on the right of this page are all the forum threads under particular categories such as Hubpages tutorials and community, freeform discussion, etc. Religion and politics also have forum therads but they do not show on this right half of the page we are talking about.

Among the categories that show up, the thread with the most recent activity shows right on top. So if someone from Asia were to post a very helpful thread evening their time, it would be on the top. But by the time America wakes up there's a very high possibility that the thread is no where near the top of this list, maybe not on the first page at all. So no one sees it. Instead they see threads about quotes (I read these too, I am not against them), games (I personally don't read these, but had I the time I'm sure htey are fun too), etc

I wasn't insinuating that you were being angry. And seeing as though I understand the problem better thanks to you (and yes, even the insufferable raggededge) I will just move on with my life.

One last note: After all the dust settles, its clear how ridiculous this whole thing is. If the problem was as straightforward as people claim, then why has this spun off into so many different discussions? It's because when people broach the subject in the forums, they start out cynical or unclear as to what the problem actually is. In my attempt to help/understand I've only made things worse. I have a lot to offer people. I have a background that can be quite useful to HP. But, I'm done here. It's not worth it.

I said nothing to you, Jessie, apart from trying to explain the situation. But you had to go in with the personal insults. Again. Go re-read the thread.

Personal insults? I simply made an observation as to your regular behavior. Your character may be something different 98 percent of the time but the 2 percent I've seen from you is usually negative or critical or trying to police everyone and tell them how to conduct themselves. And by looking at the past thread, you straight up denied the existence of another observation I made and did so with an attitude. As if you're the all-seeing eye of HP and nothing escapes your radar. Even after I had made a visible effort to be diplomatic. There was no misinterpreting the vitriol in your writing. It's your way or the highway. To hell with that.

How can you possibly expect to interact with people in such a way and not get an equal response back?

'Always negative'
                'With an attitude'
                'Vitriol'

Examples?

Private message from someone else who's made similar observations.

Hi Jessie,

This pertains to the recent forum thread you started. I believe your arguments were absolutely correct and like you said giving credit where it is due.

Some HP members especially that lady thinks that she has a supreme opinion and everyone should fall under it. Sorry, I hardly participate in forums and as well I don't want to flare up the discussion.

Good one and thanks!!!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13947489_f1024.jpg

You still haven't given any examples that illustrate your latest batch of insults.

By the way, the original discussion regarding the appropriate place for certain forum threads is not just about my opinion. Is it? And even if it were, I have just as much right to express it as you have yours.

Maybe the world around you isn't crazy. Maybe its just you. Its a safer bet, I think.

The fact remains: I don't like you. Take that however you like.

The feeling is mutual, but I do my best to deal with the points made and refrain from ad hominem attacks.

Ad hominems are actually relevant if your character is interfering with the discussion. It clearly was. Case closed.

4. theraggededge profile image87
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

Yep, that's just about the right level of maturity we've come to expect big_smile

Bedtime for you.

That's about as original as it comes.

5. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 6 years ago

Okay. I'm outa here. I've tried to offer advice to newbies in this forum as have theraggededge, Dr.mark, and a few others, but it's now impossible when people such as Jessie, threekeys, and others clog up the feed by vapid comments and hurled insults. No doubt such people enjoy creating anger and chaos, but you've destroyed a place where writers helped each other. I do not hope that makes you happy. Some adult supervision from admin is called for. Until this arrant nonsense is stopped I've got better things to do than scroll through endless abuse.

You're outta here? You were never here to begin with. No one asked you to come to this discussion.

And yeah yeah, I know, I'm "abusive" because I stand up to the self-appointed cadre around here and the sky is falling. Your outrage has been duly noted. Let me know how the taddling goes. Anyone who doesn't agree with you must be dispensed with post haste.

6. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

If you'd like to help, do one main thread for it and keep bumping it when needed. That will make it easier for you to track and won't fill the forum list with the same thread title over and over.

If you do a post every day, you'll likely have people commenting on old threads, anyway.

Sounds good in theory but I'm in time-out right now. Everyones mad at me lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)