Does Google put new articles on front page to monitor reader response?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (19 posts)
  1. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 4 years ago

A few days this subject came up on another thread and only a few people commented on it. Is it better to publish the old articles that were not successful, to see it they are able to gain readership on Google, or just edit them as previously suggested.
    (Sometimes after editing an article of mine will gain a few views but I have never seen one move up towards the top of my account page. Does Google even bother to shuffle articles after they have been edited, or if they are losers when published are they considered losers for all time?)

1. OldRoses profile image95
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I've been shouted down saying things like this, so I will append the word "anecdotally" to my sweeping generalizations.  Anecdotally, I have found that when I edit old articles, they immediately move up in the rankings of my account page.  So I would recommend editing old articles to keep them up to date as well as near or at the top of Google searches.

DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I have some articles that have never been near the top of the Google search. When edited, they do not move up much. (Maybe from one view a day to five views a day.) They are all on niche sites, but I think it might be better to just delete them and start over. This is just anecdotal info.

I never delete old "non-performing" articles because I have found that readership is very fickle.  An article that has languished a year or two will suddenly become very popular.  The most extreme example of this is an article that I published in 2014 that had almost no views suddenly skyrocketed last year to 1,000+ views per day for months.  I have another article that I also published in 2014 that is aimed at Thanksgiving that 2 years ago suddenly went from almost no views to middle of the pack in both November and December.  Then starting in fall of 2019, it surged again and has maintained that traffic through to the present (January 2020).  So I like to hang on to those old articles and update them every year to keep them current because I never know when one will suddenly take off.

You have been here several years more than me but I have NEVER seen that happen to one of my articles. (I guess I can keep hoping.) I have seen several jump out of the top positions, usually when they are read and rewritten by some reader via a search engine, but certainly not improve in position like you are describing with your Thanksgiving article. I do update at least every calendar year; these "bottom of the barrel" hubs just dont seem to care.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
        Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have had a few articles that have "popped" after a few years of being published;. it's not necessarily after being edited, but suddenly something has happened. Someone has shared the article on FaceBook, or Twitter, or somewhere else. Suddenly it has caught fire.

After a temporary surge on FB or twitter, have you seen any lasting impact  with a change in Google rankings? I wonder sometimes if Google even notices.

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The ranking of articles on Google depends on many, many factors and not just if they are new or not. Other factors include the website where they appear, the length of the article, grammar, author reputation, download speed (now very important), backlinks from quality websites, etc.

Anyone who simply republishes an article will probably see it drop in rankings because the age of the article is also a factor. They also will lose backlinks.

If an article is truly a failure, it's better to rewrite the whole thing and give it a new title. But that should happen only after a thorough analysis of why the first version failed, including whether it is properly optimized for search engines.

A lot to think about here. One very poorly performing article is on leg wound treatment for a horse when no vet is available. It is refereced and detailed but since it has almost never been read has few backlinks. I do not know how to improve this as the only thing I can see wrong with it is the website. Not much I can do about that and I can see no way to improve it to increase traffic.
        The other poorly performing articles seem to have more backlinks, but still not that many. You said you think they should have a new title, which I agree, but do you think there are many benefits to unpublishing first? (Besides loss of the age factor, which I do not know is even sigfiicant in these cases.)

1. profile image0

Which article is the leg wound treatment?

1. profile image0

Part of the problem may be a lack of searches on Google about horse leg wounds. I extracted the following list of keywords from Google Ads that contain the words "horse" and "wound".

They are suggestions from Google specific to your article. The numbers show the average monthly searches for each set of keywords.

You might try adding some of these keywords or variations of them (but be careful of overdoing it) and then track any change in rankings. 

Likewise, I suggest linking from similar keywords in your other articles to this article to see if it helps. Any changes in rankings may take some time. but there are no guarantees because of competition from other websites.

horse wound care    320
              horse wound spray    210
              how to treat an open wound on a horse    140
              ointment for horse wounds    110
              horse wound    110
              horse wounds on legs    110
              horse wound care products    90
              horse wound treatment    70
              puncture wounds in horses    50
              wound powder for horses    40
              horse wound healing stages    40
              bandaging horse leg wounds    40
              infected horse wound    40
              horse wound cream    30
              best wound care for horses    30
              horse leg wound not healing    30
              how to wrap a horse leg wound    30
              horse wound healing    20
              treating open wounds on horses    20
              manuka honey for wounds on horses    20
              wound dressing for horses    20
              spray for horse wounds    20
              horse leg wound care    10
              horse puncture wound treatment    10
              wound management in horses    10
              how to treat horse wounds    10
              how to bandage a horse wound    10
              keeping flies off horse wounds    10

Thanks for looking at that for me. I agree that those numbers are REALLY low, but I would be happy with only 10. At least I would know that it is helping the people I wrote it for.
                I am going to try and follow a few of your suggestions and see if the traffic improves. Thank you again.

1. profile image0

Glad to help.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96

I just added back the image of me treating the wound on her leg today. Google adsense has, over the years, gone through and determined that certain images were too graphic for their liking. Now that HP is no longer going to be submiting to Google, I am hoping that they will allow such images to stay.
            We will see. Other sites that discuss animal health, and rank better than this one, have much more graphic images.

2. OldRoses profile image95

How do you promote your articles?  I have a separate FB page devoted to my articles.  I also have boards on my personal Pinterest page for my articles.  I often see a bump in traffic after I have posted my articles on FB.

The vast majority are from Google. I never use FB. I do get several hundred (lately about 400/day) readers from Pinterest.

2. Doneta Wrate profile image77
    Doneta Wrateposted 4 years ago

Old Roses, thank you for your comments.  I found that very interesting

You're welcome!  So glad that I could contribute to the discussion.  I lurked in the forums for many years and learned so much just reading the questions and answers.  Now I feel that I have learned enough that I can start to give back and help other writers.  I'm still learning though!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)