Staying Healthy, Mentally

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. samanthacubbison profile image82
    samanthacubbisonposted 4 years ago

We at HubPages hope that everyone is staying safe and healthy during this difficult time. If you are stuck inside, there are a bunch of things you can do to stay sane—such as Marie Kondo-ing your bookshelves, or, if you have kids, learning how to use E-books for homeschooling purposes. Aside from taking physical precautions, our team has been discussing the many ways to stay well mentally. Here are some practices and resources that we have been utilizing.

General Recommendations

1.  Take everything one day at a time.
    2.  Be kind to yourself and others.
    3.  It's ok to be scared, bored, angry, sad—just don't let those feelings isolate you. Share them with others as a way of fostering connection and deepening relationships.
    4.  Look at this experience as an opportunity to slow down and identify what is most important to you.
    5.  Limit exposure to news coverage.
    6.  Seek connection and support.

Resources

1.  "Practicing Self-Care During Stressful Times"
    2.  "A Psychologist's Science-Based Tips for Emotional Resilience During the Coronavirus Crisis"

2. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 4 years ago

Thanks. Yes so many things we can do to keep mentally healthy. I don't know about other people but it is such a weird feeling this whole thing. Obviously the virus itself is frightening, but its more than that. People are doing and saying things so different to the norm, it will take a long time to get used to it.
    As my mother said when she was a Sergeant in the WAAFs back in the day, for the few months of the war, people were in a constant state of panic, by then end of the first year they were knitting while bombs dropped! You get used to it and adapt.

samanthacubbisonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Social distancing is hard—We're social animals, after all. But for the sake of ourselves and others, it is well worth it. Though it may take a while, I believe that we will come out on the other side of this with a new appreciation for our community. And like you said, we'll get used to it and hopefully be more prepared in the future.

1. Glenis Rix profile image96
        Glenis Rixposted 4 years agoin reply to this

My friends and I, all self-isolating because we are 70+, have set up a WhatsApp group. My son calls me every day, we FaceTime and I have downloaded a great app to read stories and play games with my grandchildren. Having a garden is a blessing - it must be horrible to be confined to an apartment (the Italians have found a wonderful way of dealing with it!). Stay safe everyone and be thoughtful of the needs of others. ❤️

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 4 years ago

Limiting exposure to "news" coverage is an especially good idea. Holy smoke how horrific the things are which pass for news in the USA these days.

When I share my feelings much in these forums I get banned. hmm

Solid list and advice. Well done.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago

Please keep HubPages alive. With all the “social distancing” going on, it is one place we can still congregate.
    I know earnings are down but many of us have so much in common here and feel connected. One of my favorite experiences here was getting a comment on one of my humorous hubs— an elder man on the other side of the world from me  with a different cultural background, said my article made him laugh. That meant a lot to me and I told him so. He replied “ humor is humor” and I truly realized that all people share some basic qualities.
    Apologies for the verbosity... I just appreciate the opportunity to be a participant.  It is a vitamin contributing to mental health.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

HP is a great place for many reasons smile Well said.

2. samanthacubbison profile image82

We will do our best! Thank you for the kind words. Stay healthy!

5. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 4 years ago

Samantha, thank you so much for the encouragement! Even as HP has grown and changed, it feels comforting to know that you all are still checking in on us smile

Of course! During a time of social-distancing, I am so thankful that we can continue interacting with our community in some capacity. I hope you are all doing well.

6. bhattuc profile image84
    bhattucposted 4 years ago

It is true that we have to keep our spirits high. Bad times are generally followed by the good ones. We must hope for that.

7. MitaraN profile image59
    MitaraNposted 4 years ago

Hi Samantha, Thanks for checking in on us and the tips.

Be safe all

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)