jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Humor is a funny thing!

1. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

I just walked past the bathroom, and the three little tackers were in the bath.
    I knew my lovely 13 year old granddaughter was bathing them, so went down to her room and said. "So you've finally decided to drown them then?"
    My granddaughter answered. "It was a last resort granddad!"

We both thought it was funny, then as I left the room laughing I noticed a feeling crawling up my spine. I almost drowned as a little tacker and recognized that I feared my little ones drowning!
    What came first. The joking or the fear? I have been wondering since.
    Some may find the humor very wrong or distasteful, and I am not at all sure how I feel about this.
    Any thoughts?

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

a 13 year old going on 30!....lol

i think you can transmit adult fears to little ones sometimes un-knowing
      maybe its good to just let it pass. Be watchfull of them, but let them experience also I think.

2. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Your granddaughter is witty! And quick!

earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

All 4 of my granddaughters are! They eat me alive daily. If I hang out with them enough I may get up to speed. lol

1. Diane Inside profile image82
        Diane Insideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Some may find it distateful but most with any sense would know it was all just lighthearted kidding.

But I do understand what you said about remembering what happened to you and no doubt you had that feeling of utter fear at the thought of that happening to them, at least for that second or two. But knowing they are safe and being tended to.

Habee is right she had a good comeback, pretty good for someone so young. lol

Thank you Dianne. It was meant to be lighthearted kidding, but I wondered if the joke itself came from my unconscious fear?

3. profile image0
    china manposted 6 years ago

To the point of your post, I would say that humour is often a response to our fears, like a safety valve or a reminder of real dangers while trying to suppress the partly irrational fear.  In the same way that aggression is a fear response.  Humour in a person shows a healthy mind I would say - good on your grand-daughter !

Thank you China man. I like your explanation.
      I do not always trust my consciousness. My sub-conscious is the big fella who knows real motives. I find you're ideas on humor to be agreeable too. smile

4. bojanglesk8 profile image61
    bojanglesk8posted 6 years ago

Haha.

smile Hi Bojangles! smile

5. profile image65
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

the act is not criminal unless the intent is criminal!

That makes sense to me. smile

working