Understanding Amazon Orders Report

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Spacey Gracey profile image38
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I really should know this by now but....

On the orders report there are five columns:
    1. Product link conversion
    2. Product link clicks
    3. Items ordered through product links
    4. Other items ordered
    5. Total items.

I don't really understand what they mean.

I get reports where there is a 1 in the 'items ordered through product links' column but nothing in the clicks or conversion columns. Is that because the clicked on a different product in an Amazon capsule and then navigated through Amazon and ordered something else?

And does the 'product link clicks' refer to Amazon capsules and any in text links that direct to that particular product page, or just the capsules?

Hope that makes sense?

Understanding the reports more I'm sure would help direct my HP efforts.

1. lrohner profile image67
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I believe it would be either a link or an ad.

2. SiddSingh profile image59
      SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Product links are links that you create yourself, without using the capsule on HP.

For example, let us assume that you write a hub on Amazon Kindle. You add a few capsules for all kinds of Kindle, plus in the end, you also end include a direct link to the product. This here is a product link (Note for moderator - the link is NOT an affiliate link) >>

The Best E-Book Reader, Now with Free Shipping! Buy Now!

Now, it becomes easy to decipher all the columns -

1. Product link conversion >> No of items sold divided by no of prod link clicks (expressed as %)

2. Product link clicks >>  Self Explanatory

3. Items ordered through product links >> Self Explanatory

4. Other items ordered >> Items ordered through your Amazon capsules

5. Total items. >> Self Explanatory

1. lrohner profile image67

Not sure I agree with this.

In looking at my orders report for the past few months, every single item that I've sold that shows up as an "Item Ordered Through a Product Link" is a product that I was pushing directly through an Amazon capsule -- not an affiliate link. Not one item that shows up in the "Other Items Ordered" had either a link or a capsule. Amazon cannot tell the difference between a product link in the text and a product link in a capsule, as far as I know.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
          Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Right but notice that the ordered items are far more than the clicked links.

It's weird, I agree. But it's not very likely that you'd get 100's of items ordered through product links and yet only a few product link clicks.

They count as product links in the items ordered column, but not in the product link clicks category. That's why it's confusing.

2. Pandoras Box profile image60

I'm not saying that product links are links you create yourself, necessarily.

I'm just saying that clicks from readers through our HubPages Amazon module ads don't count as product link clicks. If they do, then Amazon constantly misses bunches and bunches of them.

But they do count as orders through product links.

So they're product links, but clicks on them do not count as product link clicks.

1. SiddSingh profile image59
            SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Despite of what I said earlier, I think you are right. In that case, I will stand corrected.

On this page, Amazon.com defines product links as -

Product Links: Links to detail pages of individual products offered by Amazon or one of our third-party sellers.

But that still does not explain why links from capsules don't count as product link clicks.

1. ThomasE profile image69
              ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a theory that Amazon links via the specific product option are produced via the Amazon API, and where you type in something like "red weeble widgets" they are produced by omakase api. Amazon doesn't count omakase links in its product link clicks, but does report them as product links in its order report.

Wow, that is confusing.

Omakase is Amazons name for its service where it recommends products.

2. lrohner profile image67

You have successfully hurt my brain. Wine and a long nap are now in order. smile

2. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

1. Product link conversion: I would assume that would show clicks vs views, but mine just always show up as N/A.

2. Product link clicks: How many people actually clicked on one of your Amazon-specific ads.

3. Items ordered through product links: I believe this is how many clicks actually resulted in a sale of the product they clicked on. So if you had an Amazon ad for a Brand X dog collar and someone clicked and ended up buying a Brand x dog collar, that would be an "item ordered through product links."

4. Other items ordered: If someone clicked on one of your Amazon ads for Brand x dog collar and they would up buying a coffee maker, that would be an "other item ordered." (I think...)

5. How many of that specific item were sold altogether regardless of whether it was from a "product link click" or not.

3. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

That last one sounds more right to me Spacey. I asked this question some time ago, cause I wondered why my product link clicks were always so low. I was told product link clicks did not apply to HubPages Amazon modules. So I think Sidd's got it right on this one.

I know it doesn't seem to make sense, since the "items ordered through product links" obviously registers our modules as product links, but for some reason they differentiate when it comes to clicks. They just don't include the clicks for some reason.

It's weird, doesn't make sense, but I have to think it's true based on my reports.

4. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I wish I could figure out what sales are coming from my own websites and hubpages.

On hubpages I use only Amazon capsules, on my websites I use direct product links. All my sales show as product links, but I assume those also are capsule sales. hmm

Don't you use separate trackers, or ID numbers? I use a different one for each account.

1. Bill Manning profile image70
        Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm, I never knew you could do that. I will have to dig through my account page and find out how, thanks. Amazon has the most confusing back-end I have seen! hmm

Go to Account settings (top right) and then Manage Tracking IDS.

Ah ha! Found it, thanks. I also just found out how you can just click a link at the top of any product page to get the code to use for that page, very cool. smile

5. SiddSingh profile image59
    SiddSinghposted 13 years ago

Also, when I look at my reports over the previous months, I find that I have received product link clicks ONLY on those items where I have include a direct link to the product.

For a good breakdown you can look at the Link Type Report. HubPages Modules seem to be "REST."

LOL.

Well if that is true than I do indeed make 95% of my sales from my own websites. I'll use a tracker from now on. smile

Wow. Huh. That's very interesting. But then you've been at that website thing for some time now, huh? Good for you, great job.

I've been wondering, if you're not opposed to sharing, about how many sites do you have?

Oh I don't mind sharing at all. I have about 2 dozen websites. However I only use about 2 for Amazon. Actually I get almost all my Amazon sales from my one tourist site about Orlando.

I have Disney and Harry Potter product pages in that, and that is what most of my sales are. I make the product pages very SEO'ed for a narrow keyword.

So, I rank on the front page of Google for that keyword for that product page. Can't do any better than that. For instance, I have a page about Disney snow globes.

BUT, I even break it down more by making a page each of Tinkerbell snow globes, Princess snow globes and so on. I will slowly do this to all my sites, making product pages relevant to each site. smile

Yeah that seems very smart. Lotta pages in your site that way too. Very targeted audience, with disposable income, in the mood.

Great set-up! Very smart! And your Orlando site looks great!

Thank you. I'll be changing the front of the site soon to a more normal website look, with the blog below it. Anyone can do what I am doing in their own websites.

You just need to match the product to what your site is about. In my leather site I'm going to add pages of leather bags, leather purses, leather bracelets and so on.

It helps my adsense clicks too. smile

I bet it does. You're attracting a whole other group of people with those pages. Very smart.

6. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

i have 16 other link clicks big_smile but what does it mean?

Clicks through HubPages module ads probably.

7. Spacey Gracey profile image38

errrr - I am still a bit confused.

So are Amazon capsules 'REST'?

I believe so Spacey. At least that is where they register the vast overwhelming majority of my clicks.

2. Bill Manning profile image70

That seems to be what they are saying, and it makes sense when I look at my stats on there. But,,,, they still can come up under product links,,,,, I think,,, hmm

There are always a few isn't there? Which makes it even weirder.

8. Spacey Gracey profile image38

OK I think I get it now. It has helped me make up my mind about how to do the next few hubs. I am trying to stop scrambling for the last few winter sales and start getting ready for next year.

Thanks for your help.

9. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I think they differentiate between what is an official Amazon store and independent sellers products on there as well lol

10. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

My shipped orders have 20 more items than ordered items today. :s

Amazon reporting is beyond my tiny analytical cell's capability.

That's because it can take a few days for them to ship items. So you can have 3 days worth of sales suddenly ship the same day, plus ones from last month that overlap this month.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)