jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Photo copyrights and entertainment hubs

1. kimberlyback profile image61
    kimberlybackposted 6 years ago

I am trying to find definitive clarification on the issue of photo copyrights and hubs about entertainment. I am currently working on a series of TV trivia hubs and would love to include a photo of the show's cast, etc. in each Hub, but I don't want to step on any toes, esp. since I plan on utilizing ad revenue.

Advice, por favor! smile

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Truth-About-Copyrights

Only because you asked.  Or any current law book can tell you.  I've sited the law book at the end of the hub which I used.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

We were just having this discussion:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/65333

3. kimberlyback profile image61
    kimberlybackposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I have basically resolved to throw my hands up in the air on this one b/c, at least in my case, it does come down to the issue of images being so WIDELY used across the Internet that I wouldn't have a clue as to how to track down the original source. I have attributed a source for the location where I found the current photo I am using but it is by no means the original author. If, a year from now, I am singled out from 100,000+ other sources for my trivia quiz on HubPages and asked to take the photo down, then I will do so. ha.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just because everyone else does it is no excuse. How would you like people posting your articles all over the place?

You can find some copyright-free celebrity photographs on Wikipedia and elsewhere. You could possibly email legitimate (ie official) websites and ask to use the photographs you want.

kimberlybackposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, but I am not trying to take credit from anyone. I am trying to take the proper steps.

My reply was in reference to the link from above. And the photo I am using is a widely used promotional photo, which upon further research, is also used in the cover of an Amazon product. And that is what I'm using. And I sourced it to Amazon. And used an affiliate link.

4. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

This free service may be of some use, tracking photos through a reverse image search:

http://www.tineye.com/

kimberlybackposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wow, look at you go. This site is amazing. I just tried out this page by uploaded the saved photo I am using onto the site. It traced it back to Amazon, but also said the the photo has been used by TVGuide and a few other websites. Also, the photo has been searched for over a billion and a half times.

working