Making All Adverts Invisible while Logged In

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (33 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I don't know if this is workable or not, it's just a suggestion.

However I was just reading a thread about hubbers "rewarding" other hubbers by clicking their adverts.

My suggestion: Since we cannot see Kontera adverts while logged in, could the same be applied to Adsense?

Obviously there are two problems with this:-

1. You need to see how your hub will look with adverts inserted to avoid ugly spaces etc. Solution: Show hubs just as in preview mode, with a grey square.

2. Some hubbers check their adverts because they want to check appropriate material is being displayed to visitors for maximum clicks. Solution: Either the hubber can log out to view their hubs OR the ability to see adverts can be turned on/off.

As I said, I don't know if this is workable but it's likely to help hubbers who may accidentally click and/or new hubbers in particular.

2. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'd be against this Wry, because I sometimes tweak hubs so that they display the ads I want them to display. I couldn't be bothered logging out and in again every time I wanted to check.
    Having said that, I find it deeply disturbing that some hubbers seem to think this clicking on other hubbers ads is a good thing.
    I think that adsense should boot them off the program. Or Hubpages should bar them. but I don't know if they can make (or already have) software that will tell them who is clicking on what.

3. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 13 years ago

We've thought a bit about this and we do reduce the number of ads for logged in people.

Clicking on other people's ads is a big no,no and will likely result in getting banned from AdSense and HubPages.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Paul.

2. Bible Studies profile image63
      Bible Studiesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering how HubPages came to that decision.

Why isn't the fact that hubbers can not click on hub page ads a rule that is told to new hubbers up front when they are learning the system?

I know never to click my own ads, but it never occurred to me not to click any of the other hubbers ads. The message got mixed up. To click on ads that only interest you, but only with those who write quality hubs. Otherwise you would be encouraging low standard to spam hubbers to keep writing and posting those type of hubs until they get kicked off of hub pages for having low hubs.

Now it is irrelevant, since I can't click on any ads.

3. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It looks new problem to hubbers.
      Who will be banned?
      Adsense publisher of the hub or the person who is clicking the ads (if he has adsense a/c)

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All of us here on Hubpages.

1. profile image0

You mean all of adsense publisher here at hubpages will be banned.
          Is it true or Are you joking?

1. IzzyM profile image88
            IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not joking.

If hubbers continue to click ads, Hubpages will be forced to ban first of all the hubbers doing it, but the whole time we are all at risk of Adsense banning Hubpages.

1. profile image0

OMG!
              "but the whole time we are all at risk of Adsense banning Hubpages."

That means adsense will ban hubpages from displaying their ads in the site or adsense will individually ban accounts of  all publishers accounts in hubpages so that we all lose our adsense accounts.

Can you clarify me?

1. Bible Studies profile image63

The only thing I can gather right now is that if hubbers continue to click ads that are not their own, they are not in violation of Adsense. Each person here has their own adsense code shown 60% of the time, and Hub Pages 40% of the time.

Since Hub Pages shows their ads 40% of the time, someone suggested that we may click on their ads too many times. I'm not sure what the difference is between a hubber doing it, and someone from the search engine doing the same thing.

It may have something to do with being logged in.

People with referrals where their own code might show up would have to be careful also.

Other than that, I don't know.

Will we actually be banned from hub pages for not knowing? I don't know. There are more hubbers here than you or I that are just hearing about this.

Will we be banned from Ad Sense? I would legally like to see where it says I can not click another publishers ads if I'm interested in them. I know my code is not going into any other publishers code. I have legally seen where it says I can not click on my own ads. My ads are on my hubs, and possibly hubs I linked to. I knew not to click on any of them.

Will adsense ban Hub Pages? I doubt it, since I read Hub Pages is getting 47 million visitors a month. That is a lot of Ad revenue Hub Pages would be bringing in for advertisers of Ad Words, especially if they are bringing in quality traffic. Hub Pages themselves have done nothing against AdSense terms that I know of.

1. Susana S profile image94
                  Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You've been told. Now give it a rest. Your reasoning has been shown to be wrong - swallow it and move on. It's safer just to not click ads on HubPages and for everyone to know that. I see plenty of threads where new hubbers have had their adsense accounts terminated for TOS violations and they will not get them back - ever.

Please never visit my hubs.

Excuse me, where in the above post did I say anything about clicking on ads? Did I say anything that said it was ok to any longer? Did I say I was going to continue?

Or was I actually trying to answer his question, and make sense of all of this? The top portion was the reasons others told me as to why people could get into trouble, or is that wrong also? The bottom portion was trying to answer will many people get banned on this site as well as Adsense?

I'm only one hubber. There are many, many more who don't even realize this rule exists. What about them? It wasn't just me clicking on other peoples ads before.

For clarification, I'm not any longer.

2. ThomasE profile image69
                  ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Similar sites to hubpages have been banned in the past when their members engaged in click fraud. Heck, I know people who got their account shut down by someone else intentionally through doing just that.

Adsense will not hesitate to ban an account if it senses any irregularity at all.

It can afford to lose hubpages, but hubpages can't afford to lose adsense.

3. lrohner profile image68
                  lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is this legal enough? From the AdSense Terms and Conditions that you agreed to when you signed up for the program:

"Google may at any time, in its sole discretion, terminate all or part of the Program, terminate this Agreement, or suspend or terminate the participation of any Property in all or part of the Program for any reason."

If you want to muck around with your own account, so be it. But leave the other hubbers out of it.

4. frogdropping profile image76
      frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For me you can remove the lot. This thread (and the other one) makes me feel ill. If I lost my account because of someone else's supposed ignorance - who fancies my chances convincing Google? I certainly don't sad

4. ThomasE profile image69
    ThomasEposted 13 years ago

If you have an adsense account, I suggest using Mozilla and downloading adblocker plus ( I think it is available for chrome and maybe other browsers too). Turn it on, and adsense is blocked. Turn it off, and you can see adsense.

Most of the time I am on hubpages, I can't see the adverts, and can't click them at all. I am at no risk of accidentally clicking a link and getting banned.

I found it when I joined webanswers, and accidentally clicked an add and got paranoid I might end up with my account shut down.

5. Trish_M profile image79
    Trish_Mposted 13 years ago

This thread has left me feeling rather bewildered.

If I ever saw an advert that interested me, I might then click on it. I can only remember doing so once, but it would never have occurred to me not to, just because I am a member ~ as long as it wasn't on my own hub, of course.

And, personally, I can see the point of clicking on an ad related to a quality hub, rather than one which had involved little or no work ~ not for the sake of clicking, but if I would go to it, anyway, whatever site I saw it on.

I would look something up, rather than click, if I did not like the hub that had been submitted for some reason.

If I decided to buy something that I had noticed via someone else's hub, then isn't it fair that they get the chance of earning some commission ~ just as if a non-member had shown an interest and bought something?

Have I misunderstood something?

I'm bemused and confused smile

6. Trish_M profile image79
    Trish_Mposted 13 years ago

What if I click on an Amazon advert that I have inserted, in order to check the item?
    Is that against the rules, too?

1. ThomasE profile image69
      ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, it isn't. With amazon, they only pay you if the person who clicks through the link buys. So, it is against the rules to buy through your own link.

With adsense, it is against the rules to click your own link or encourage people to click through your link.

You can click amazon ads as often as you want.

1. Trish_M profile image79
        Trish_Mposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Thomas smile

So I'm ok clicking on my own Amazon ads, as long as I don't buy, but I mustn't click on any other ads at all, anywhere on Hub Pages??

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I just saw this topic. I didn't realize that Bible Studies was dismissing Paul Edmondson as well as me in another topic.

Google is a private company and can have any rules they want. There is no constitutional right to click. It is not covered under freedom of expression, free speech or anything else.

Now I really agree with Wry Lilt that it would be great if ads were not shown to Hubbers - or if possible that any click coming from HP would automatically be ignored.

It terrifies me to think of how many other Hubbers are this misguided. Now I see people aren't reading the Amazon TOS as well. Dear me.

I never dismissed Paul. I was just searching for some answers, which I found in my other thread with no thanks to you and others who were yelling and just saying stop without any clear answers. Don't go any further, because I got the answers I was looking for.

PS. I forgive you and the others who yelled at me, and have mistaken what I was trying to say. Don't worry I don't expect anything back. If you haven't caught it on the other thread. I'm a reformed clicker - person who does not click on ads on hub pages for the long version - any longer. If anything, I have been trying to let others know of this issue, and that it is wrong.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

It's unbelievable we are into our second thread on the subject.  I already kind of knew, it's obvious - and the first posts were enough to convince me - DONT CLICK ON THE ADS.

Not hard to understand is it?  Nothing to argue about surely?  But no, lets try to find a way round it so we can risk the whole lot collapsing.  Absolutely bloody brilliant how some people are so convinced of their view that they can not see what everyone is telling them...

DONT CLICK ON THE ADS.

Right.  I don't actually feel much better for that because it shouldn't need saying.

Software change is required, pretty soon I suggest for Hubpages.  Disable any ads - Adsense and Kontera I guess - for a logged in Hubber.  That stops this nonsense.

Problem is that there are other hubbers that don't know, don't understand, and/or don't even give a second thought to it.

These are mainly new hubbers, new to adsense, consider adsense more as a hobby if I do get some money great, and those who do not have adsense accounts. This does not include the professional adsense community that keeps up on every little detail, since this is their main money maker.

Those who I am referring to don't know the problem that with a shared site that members can not click on that sites ads. They don't know adsense terms. Why should they? I didn't either until recently.  There is really nothing stated on Hubs, except in the forums if a person is looking for it or stumbles on it.

That was one of the reasons why I was trying so hard after getting a basic understanding to find something on the Hub site about this in terms, help, or learning section. Everyone kept directing me to adsense. Some people did such a good job explaining it, I was actually able to explain it to someone else beyond don't click it is in adsense terms, and they actually understood.

Mr. Edmondson, please forgive me if hub members that do not have adsense accounts are a non-issue. I'm just going on what I read on adsense, and that it is a grey area. From what I read even those members may be an issue. You would know much better than I would.

That might be why some forums tell their members that if they sign up, they can view their forums ad free.

The best way would to be disable ads, except in the preview mode where we would only be able to see them. Or in the preview mode, see a gray box where adsens ads are suppose to be to see how their hub will look. If a person wants to check if their ads are compatible with the hub content, then they will have to log out to do so.

Then again Hub Pages has lasted this long with Adsense without a portion of the hubbing community knowing about this. From the member responses I received, the more people that know, the better.

PS. I didn't either until recently. = I didn't know about the issues with shared sites until recently.

Also, would I have gotten shot down as much if people saw I didn't have any adsense ads on my hubs?

PPS. The last part was hypothetically speaking. Of course I have adsense on my hubs, but what if I didn't? Would people have been kinder?

PPPS. This is the last response I'm going to give, unless some one wants clarification as to what I'm saying.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
              Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suspect we have had sufficient clarification.

9. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhh Gods.

HubPages please make it so that my ads aren't visible when folks are signed in. I'm in misery sad

Frog

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)