jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

Last Weekends Virus Troubles

1. Rafini profile image89
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

Hey you guys!

Remember the virus activity from last weekend?  Well, I had 4 virus alerts while hub hopping and my anti-virus software (Kaspirsky) notified me that it was detected & blocked.  Now tonight, when the anti-virus did the daily scan (that I set up because of last weekend) it said 4 Trojan Viruses were detected. 

Not knowing what I was doing, really, I attempted to find out just how much of a threat it was by doing a System Reset, back to March 8.  Nope, can't do it.  My Kaspirsky database files are corrupted!  So...tomorrow I'm headed over to the Geek Squad.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up - if you know what you're doing, you may want to take care of your computer, otherwise get in to see a professional, ASAP!

1. Michael Willis profile image80
      Michael Willisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I also use Kaspersky Anti-virus and I got the same report as you did last weekend.
      On System Restore/Reset...when you go backwards, you will get the "data base is corrupt" notification. I went through this a few months ago and could not get my Kaspersky to update.

I called Kaspersky Support and it was explained to me that a system restore will likely cause a corrupt data base. She had me to to go into my Kaspersky program file and hit "modify, repair or remove." Hit "Repair."

This has fixed my problems twice now when I did a System Restore.  Might save you money from  a repair tech.  If you feel safer going to the tech, then go there. I am just letting you know this information for if you ever need it.

My computer shows "Is Protected" even though the detected list still shows the virus detected after blocking it.

Rafiniposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Michael.  One time I called the Geek Squad and went through it over the phone - too much trouble! (as I really don't know what I'm doing with technology!!) 

I also went in once and the Geek Squad told me the same thing you said (that's why I tried it myself this time) but, going in doesn't cost anything, so just to be safe - I'm going in.

1. Michael Willis profile image80
          Michael Willisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Free? Great. They can give you a routine look over then with your anti-virus.

yep. smile

2. Rafini profile image89

turns out it was only free for a year, now I gotta pay another $200 for another year fo free service.....didn't realize I'd paid that when I bought it.  lol

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Thank you Rafini. Good to know and sorry to hear you had a problem. My virus shield from AVG protected my system and nothing has gotten through as of yet.

I'm just disappointed I decided against learning about this technological stuff - I don't want to work with numbers, I wanna work with words!  Had I only known.....smile

1. recommend1 profile image73
        recommend1posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rafini - I hae AVG and have had a few blocked the last few weeks and nothing has come through in this period, and it is free.  I also use Spybot (also free) recommended by others here and that seems to winkle out anything that gets past AVG.  As I am in China we alos get loads of stuff from the chat network that my partner uses and from the download tool we use that is so fast it is worth the trivial things that come through with it and that get cleaned out by AVG afterwards as a matter of routine.

I'll be sure to ask the Geek Squad tomorrow about it.  I'm too technologically challenged to do anything by myself!  lol

working