Attention First Time Visitors! This is not a religion site.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (33 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I just thought you would want to know...

1. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haha smile Lately it's turning more of a Religion forum and somewhat politics as well against all the other topics. Luckily I was here during the better days lol

2. robie2 profile image77
      robie2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

tee hee-- now you know why I don't venture into the forums very often. I did when I first joined Hubpages, many moons ago.  I even wrote Hubs on current events and politics, but found they were certainly not evergreen, so I didn't make money on them and I didn't enjoy the discussion because it got too heated and too polarized and therefore unproductive-- the religion and politics threads here in the forums are more angry rant than exchange of ideas and they honestly make me uncomfortable.

So now I stick to evergreen topics on Hubpages and save my political views for Political Packrat( my political blog). I get more done and I am a happier camper this way.  Both the religion and politics forums are a waste of time and had I stumbled into the forums before joining Hubpages four years ago, I probably would have kept on going and never become part of what has turned out to be a wonderful community of people, where I have made some fabulous friends in both the real and virtual worlds.

3. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It sure looks like one at times. I mentioned on another thread that HP should implement a forum filter which enables a user to block any forums/threads that we don't want to see.

They're going to stick around wherever they're given an audience.

1. profile image0
        mts1098posted 12 years agoin reply to this

good idea...I agree

4. HarperDavis profile image60
      HarperDavisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whoa, what?!?!?!?!?!?

*logs off*

Just kidding smile

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Wishful thinking PS!

Seriously, it would be really good for HP to make the religious and political threads invisible to people who are not logged in.

In fact, they should be made invisible except to those who deliberately choose to look at them.

Had I looked at the forums here first, I would never have signed up. They make the site look totally crass.

Most civilised venues and groups bar discussion on these topics. I wish HP would follow or would at least make them less "in your face" for the rest of us.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+ 9

3. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

It is merely your opinion that this is not a religion site. Your false opinion. Meanwhile, I have true facts that I believe that prove otherwise.

4. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

This is America!  it is full of all sorts of religious cults who know THEIR cult is the ONLY true religious group who have the god-given right to condemn all of the others.  America--land of the free, home of the delusional! 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. CMHypno profile image81
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So can we non-American's have a special log-in that locks out the religious forums, as I get so annoyed with myself if I get sucked into one?

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, Cynthia!  You must read these religious threads.  It's in the TOS! lol

1. CMHypno profile image81
          CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But I'm scared Randy.  I didn't know that only 75 people were allowed into heaven or that Jesus was only going to rapture true believers until I got here?  Is there trauma counselling or a helpline available? lol

There sure is!  First you need be one of the chosen!!  Not by god, though.  You'll know when you are a favorite by the special mark proclaiming your being far and away above the majority of others here.  Have faith, my sister in Hubheaven!  lol

100 hunks await you in the promised Hub Paradise! (to go along with a little cash reward too)  tongue

1. Greekgeek profile image78
              Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is why I keep out of 99% of the religious threads.

I don't want hunks. i want well-educated women who can give back massages and come equipped with cats!

Seiously, paradigmsearch, I do look at the forums' leading topics some days and worry... Why am I posting my content on a site that's apparently Web Central for proselytizers and religious fundamentalists? Thanks for the reminder!

1. WriteAngled profile image74
                WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, well

PhD, but in biomedical science not humanities, so maybe it does not count

4 felines share my home and bed, all black, three long-haired females (Ebony, Sopdet, Seshat), one short-haired male (Myrddin).

I used to give and receive massages a lot until my partner died.

5. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

IT IS AN "OPEN FORUM" ISN'T IT?  I DO BELIEVE THAT IS WHAT THE WORD FORUM IMPLIES. MEANING OPEN TO ALL PEOPLE ON ALL TOPICA RELIGION INCLUDED.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OP is making a point about some of the more frustrating things that people do here.  Like going on and on about religion.  And use all caps.

Those Christians!  Is it just me, or do they seem to sin more than the unbelievers they chastise so much? yikes

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Yep, when the forums are buried in religion posts to this degree, it definitely scares away newbies and costs HP money. Oh, well...

7. jennzie profile image71
    jennzieposted 12 years ago

I agree that there are too many rants and back-and-forth arguments going on in these forums. Can't people discuss happier things where everyone can actually get along? big_smile

paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Maybe if we soothingly sang to them...big_smile

Peter, Paul & Mary ~ Puff, The Magic Dragon
      Lyrics

Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea.
      And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee.
      Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal Puff,
      And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff.

8. Eric Newland profile image61

It's a cycle, really. We were at practically all political threads a month or two ago. Now the primaries are getting boring, so we've switched to religious bickering. I'm sure the scale will tip back as the actual presidential race starts to heat up.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cycle? Hmm... I don't think so.

The most dominated threads on HubPages are in fact the political and religious threads. These two threads have more posts than any other thread and when people don't bother to search through the topics of the forums, and simply post a new thread about whatever it is either political or religious, then a bunch of ridiculous threads are created for nothing.

The ignorance of many users are at fault. There are plenty of NEW people who don't have a clue about how to use a forum, much less, discuss the topic that they want to discuss. I'm even sure that there are a bunch of veteran hubbers who also have no clue how to use the forums as well. Why? Because they have never used them. Why? Because they don't want to get into the political and religious BS that happens.

The fact that the political and religious threads have ruined the forum community should speak loud and clear about a number of problems that still exist within HubPages and it's ability to moderate it's own forums. This used to be a fun flowing community of well over 300+ members and now you're lucky if there are actually 100 people who visit or post. There are thousands who watch the forums for a specific reason to find inspiration for new articles. These people are productive to publishing hubs and usually fall in line with "the early bird gets the worm", because they get topics published faster than those who sit and argue their points.

But, as far as the Title of this thread- Para is correct. HubPages is NOT a religious site.

paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I've ever seen this site so religion-infested to this level before. A new, personal best (worst?). lol

9. Eric Newland profile image61

Easter was probably a factor too, now that I think about it.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, gee. MY MISTAKE. Paradigm must think were all braindead.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Religion infested? Maybe it is because of the day and the lateness of the hour.

10. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

And who said these forums are all religious in nature?  smile

1. profile image0
      donnaMhicksposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dunno. I'm just a newbie. I did say "God" alot when trying to post my 1st hub tho'

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages! smile

1. profile image0
          donnaMhicksposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks!

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Cags, that was a long ban! Welcome back. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)