- HubPages Tutorials and Community
★ My Bucket List - From Age 22 | Things To Do Before I Die ★
Places to See and Things to do Before I Die
Bit of a morbid title, but then a bucket list is of course what you want to do before you 'kick the bucket', so it's quite fitting!
At the time of writing this I am 22, and the reason for making a list is so that I can check back and tick off what I've done, delete what I don't want to do anymore, and generally keep my aims at the forefront of my mind. Oh,and also because I'm a list-making obssessive!
I left university last year and so these last few years have been the ones where I've thought so much about what I'd like to do with my life. Of course, most of the following require time, money or both and unfortunately money is what is missing at the moment. But I think everyone needs dreams and ambitions, however big or small, to be able to look forward to the future.
I've split my list into different categories so it's not just a monster list, and maybe it'll give you a few ideas too :-)
First 20 on the List
The Northern Lights are a popular choice for bucket lists, and it's obvious why.
1) Earn a living from home.
2) Write 50, then 100 Squidoo lenses - DONE! . . . . Next step; 250 lenses!
3) Buy a car DONE! and get comfortable driving longer distances.
4) Buy a van and decorate inside the back like a mini room - so I can sleep inside when travelling around!
5) Drive to France.
6) See a film outdoors.
7) Grow my own fruit and vegetables.
8) Eat healthily and do regular exercise.
9) Go camping on my own and sleep under the stars.
10) Invent a product.
11) Have at least one (product) business of my own.
12) Get one of my t-shirt designs sold on Threadless.
13) Go to a red carpet premiere.
14) Have another go at potholing and caving - DONE!
15) Try archery.
16) Have a go at fencing.
17) Go to a music festival e.g. Glastonbury.
18) Sit in the audience whilst one of my favourite TV shows is being filmed.
19) Go on the Orient Express.
20) Go whale watching - DONE! (Although I got so sea sick I barely saw the whale :/ )
Journeys Of A Lifetime
Not only perfect for a beautiful coffee table book, but also an excellent source of inspiration for future adventures and holidays.
500 travel trips are detailed, from all over the world, and is bound to renew your wanderlust.
22 Things I Want To Do
1) Make a garden tipi.
2) Build a treehouse.
4) Start and grow a collection.
5) Constantly improve my photography and learn techniques.
6) Sell some of my photographs.
7) Own a Nissan Figaro.
8) Drive a pink cadillac.
9) Build a soap box racer.
10) Build a hovercraft.
11) Create a stop motion animation, including the set and props.
12) Carry on with my my craft blog and reach 500 followers - DONE! . . . Next step; 1000 followers!
13) Improve my fashion sense i.e. wear skirts and dresses more than I wear jeans.
14) Take part in a flashmob.
15) Design and make a kite, then fly it on a beach.
16) Make more impressive and challenging desserts and cakes.
17) Make a travel journal/scrapbook and detail any places I go + display photos.
18) Visit a zoo in at least 4 different countries. (So far: Scotland & NZ - I'm not counting England!)
19) Try geocaching.
20) Get my name in the credits of a film or TV programme.
21) Go to see 'Eurovision' live.
22) Chill out on a rooftop in the middle of a city at night.
Things to Learn
1) Learn pastry chef techniques - take a class or train properly.
2) Learn at least 2 languages from Italian, French and Sign.
3) Learn to juggle - DONE!
4) Learn to start a fire the traditional way.
5) Learn to sew my own clothes, from coats to skirts and dresses.
6) Learn how to use a wood lathe.
7) Learn to paint in watercolours.
8) Learn to draw by sketching in a journal when I can. Try to sketch scenes quickly when travelling.
9) Learn to either ski or snowboard efficiently.
10) Learn piano.
11) Learn how to play 'Baker Street' on the saxophone.
12) Learn to play the xylophone.
13) Learn to play the steel drums.
14) Learn to play the accordion (and learn to play modern songs with it).
15) Take dance lessons - either street style dancing, or more advanced tap (I used to do tap as a kid).
16) Learn to rollerskate.
17) Learn to ice skate.
18) Learn World geography - the location and capital of every country (progress: have learned every American state in alphabetical order... Only thousands more names to learn!)
19) Learn to use power tools, especially the jigsaw.
20) Learn to play poker.
NZ is somewhere that has been on top of my must-see list since I was about 16 - a long time to wait - so fingers crossed I get there sometime soon! Plus my name is Fern, and the NZ emblem is a silver Fern - so it's just meant to be, right?!
UPDATE: Been and gone (for nearly 7 weeks) - and now I want to go back!
1) Create a similar video to that shown below, with a chain of actions and motions to create a cool effect. Here is another awesome example by HeyHeyHey.
2) Make a roller suit!
3) Take a brief video of me every place I visit in the world, and then put it all together.
4) Take a photo of myself or someone else every day for at least a year, then put it together into a video.
5) Build a robot.
6) If I have kids, record their whole lives in photos, videos, momentoes and diaries.
7) Build a form of transport
8) Go to the Olympics
9) Go wing walking.
10) Go camping alone and with friends.
11) Create enough of my own recipes to fill a recipe book. Then get it published and/or pass it down through the family.
12) Learn to mix cocktails and try to find my absolute favourite mix (or invent my own).
13) Make a movie.
14) Eat a hot dog from an NYC hot dog stand.
15) Eat a meal containing truffles and a dessert containing 24k gold.
16) See a drive-in movie.
17) Ride a Segway - DONE!
18) Own a few expensive crazy gadgets.
19) Get a caricature done as an adult (I last had one done when I was 11)
20) See the Rocky Horror Show with friends - and dress up!
21) Have a library at home - with a rolling ladder.
22) Take a graphic design course.
23) Have a proper portfolio with lots of my work displayed in it.
24) Become debt-free.
25) Throw a fun dinner party with at least 3 courses.
26) Cook a proper Christmas dinner.
27) Design my dream house and get it built.
28) Eat at a restaurant with a Michelin star.
29) Create my own font and share it online.
30) Train a dog.
More Things To Learn
1) How to plaster a wall.
2) Basic car mechanics.
3) Learn at least 1 really impressive magic trick.
4) Learn to cook meals from scratch, efficiently.
5) Learn how to do the sideways moonwalk.
6) Learn how to do special effect masks and make-up.
7) Learn to sculpt ice.
8) Professional graphic design, possibly with illustration mixed in.
10) Try at least 5 of these activities and get a solo license for one of them (probably for gliding or paramotoring).
11) Learn basic plumbing
12) Learn to paint water with oil paints
Fun Things To Do
1) Go cycling in at least 4 different countries (So far: NZ)
2) Watch the sunset in at least 4 different countries (So far: NZ)
3) Go to Wimbledon, sit on Henman Hill and eat strawberries with cream.
4) Watch a football match, preferably a World Cup match with England playing.
5) Go inter-railing.
6) Watch a sunrise and a sunset on a beach (only sunset so far - in NZ)
7) Go bungee jumping - DONE! And I did a 'swing' too.
8) Go skydiving - DONE!
9) Go zorbing.
10) Make a sand sculpture.
11) Go swimming next to a waterfall!
12) Write a book.
13) Buy a house I love with plenty of land, and decorate it myself from top to bottom. Make a lot of art, furniture and decorations myself, and blog about how I did it.
14) Go gliding - DONE!
15) Dye my hair bright blue or purple.
16) Own a pet dog.
17) Adopt two donkeys.
18) Own two mini pigs.
19) Go to midnight mass in a huge cathedral.
20) Build a shed/garden studio.
21) Go to a Green Day concert.
22) Go to the Super Bowl
23) Fly a plane - DONE!
24) Get a tattoo
25) See a midnight show at the Globe Theatre in London
26) See Aerosmith in concert
27) See Fleetwood Mac in concert - Tickets booked 2015!
The Next 20
1) Try rock climbing.
2) Go abseiling.
3) Give flowers or a gift for no reason.
4) Make a stranger's day.
5) Give blood.
6) Fly in a helicopter.
7) Photograph some Banksy graffiti
8) Watch the London Marathon (note: not running in it!)
9) Initiate some Guerrilla art with knitting, temporary messages etc
10) Set up an outdoor treasure hunt.
11) Make a grass sofa.
12) Build a snow igloo.
13) Experience zero gravity.
14) Go panning for gold.
15) See Robbie Williams in concert - DONE! (Twice at the Etihad stadium in June 2013!)
16) Go to the Edinburgh tattoo.
17) Go to the Edinburgh Fringe festival.
18) Attach enough helium balloons to myself to fly!
19) Create a hidden den/room in my house, complete with a door hidden behind a picture, mirror or bookcase.
20) Create a 'secret garden' at home - complete with a hidden door and old, rusty key!
Even More Things I Want To Do
1) Live in London, for at least a few months.
2) Visit a cave in at least 4 different countries (So far: NZ)
3) Swim in a naturally hot pool - due to geothermal activity.
4) See a volcano - DONE! - Been to top of Mt. Vesuvius.
5) Do a mini tour of the best craft fairs (and antique fairs) in America.
6) Watch the Grand National at Aintree and place a bet.
7) Try kayaking (preferably in a Norwegian fjord or in NZ)
8) Fly in a hot air balloon.
9) Find my soul mate.
10) Go to at least 3 famous festivals, including the Cheese Rolling festival and Mardi gras.
11) Have a go at golf.
12) Grow a sunflower to above 1.5 metres.
13) Keep bees and sell honey.
14) Stay in the Ritz, or have dinner there.
15) Eat at The Fat Duck restaurant.
16) Eat at The Ivy.
17) Win a craft or photography competition.
18) Watch the Oxford/Cambridge boat race.
19) Buy something at an auction.
20) Go punting in Cambridge.
Places to Visit in the World
1) See New Year's Day celebrations in Australia and New York.
2) Go to Gorges du Verdon in France (again)
3) Spend at least 6 weeks travelling around New Zealand, seeing places such as; Rotorua, Auckland, Queenstown and Milford Sound. Also try out some adventure sports (eek!) and go on the Lord of the Rings tour - DONE!
4) Go to the Grand Canyon and watch the sunset.
5) Go to Niagara Falls.
6) Take a road trip across North America, crossing through as many states as possible. Visit as many places as possible including movie locations, Route 66, the White House, Washington, Boston, Portland (Oregon), L.A., Las Vegas, San Francisco, Florida, Seattle, Chicago and more.
7) Swim in the Devil's Pool, Victoria Falls.
8) New York - New Year, ice skating in front of the Rockerfeller centre at Christmas, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, shopping etc.
9) All of the theme parks in Florida, including Disney and Universal and Harry Potter World.
10) Disneyland, Paris (for my third time!)
11) The Neighbours set in Australia.
12) Norway - if I can afjord it (ha ha haa)
14) Yellowstone National park.
15) Visit at least 4 impressive universities in America.
16) Venice (again).
19) Explore the Pacific Northwest
20) Iguazu Falls
21) New England in Autumn
More Places to Visit
1) All over Germany.
2) Denmark - Copenhagen.
4) Austria (Vienna, Salzburg & of course the Sound of Music tour!)
5) Australia - Sydney, Melbourne, Steve Irwin's zoo
6) Go to the ice and snow festival in Harbin, China (see photo).
7) See at least 5 castles in Germany and Romania (do the Dracula tour!)
8) Go to the top of the Eiffel tower.
11) Little Venice and the sign graveyard in Las Vegas.
12) The Bregenzer Festspiele - a festival held every July and August in Bregenz, Austria.
13) See a play at the Minack Theatre.
14) Go on the EdgeWalk in Toronto.
15) Visit the Harry Potter studios - DONE!
16) Celebrate Queen's Day in Amsterdam
17) North Korea - Perhaps a controversial choice but I find the country fascinating even though it is in a sad state
18) Monaco - To live it up like I'm rich!
20) South of France (again)
Places in the UK
Although I live in the UK, I haven't visited many of the places or attractions that it has to offer. Places I'd like to go are:
1) Gold Hill, Shaftesbury, Dorset (see photo above) where a lot of filming takes place - such as for a Hovis advert.
4) Stone Henge.
5) Island of Guernsey. I've been many time before, but I'd like to walk or cycle all of the way around and explore it some more.
7) Sark (again).
8) Stay in London long enough to explore the attractions, and get used to using the tube. DONE!
9) Edinburgh (again - my favourite city) - DONE (1.5 weeks)!
10) Isle of Man
11) Lake District (many, many times)
12) Swansea, Wales.
13) Aberystwyth, Wales.
14) Ice skate at Somerset House, London. DONE!
15) New Forest.
20) York. - DONE!
22) Whitby, Yorkshire.
The Bucket List
I don't think you can really get a better duo of actors than Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson!
Crafts to Sample or to Learn
1) Tatting. - DONE!
2) Peg loom weaving.
3) Improve my knitting and learn to knit fairisle
4) Resin moulding for jewellery or models.
5) Basic crochet.
7) Woodwork, and learn to make custom furniture.
9) Embroidery (especially freeform).
10) Screen, lino, stencil and block printing.
12) Book binding. - DONE! (see photo above) - now I want to learn advanced bookbinding techniques and leatherwork
14) Stained glass
15) Spinning yarn
16) Quilting (make at least one full size quilt)
17) Furniture revamping (upcycle mirrors, wardrobes, chairs, stools, drawers)
18) Sculpture (wire mesh, paper mache, found objects, concrete)
19) Model making
20) Cross stitch (modern designs and wall art)
21) Making plushies/softies
23) Latch hooking - DONE! Next aim; to design and make a rug.
Where The Hell Is Matt?
Love this video!