15 Iowa Facts
My beloved State
I grew up in Iowa. So naturally I think that is was an awesome place to grow up. I am not sure many people would agree with me that Iowa is the best place for a kid to be raised. Many people disagree with me in my opinion of my homeland. Many claim it is a lame state or cannot believe that I love this place I call home. In fact most people do not even know Iowa is a state! When I tell someone where I am from Usually get one of two answers. The first is as follows, " Iowa, That is a good place. I bet you get tired of all those potatoes." or I get " GO BUCKEYES!". So I decided to write this hub full of tidbits of information so perhaps people may see that Iowa can be an awesome place to call home.
15 Awesome Facts About Iowa
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not has named Burlington’s Snake Alley the most crooked street in the world.
- ISU played a critical role in the development of the atomic bomb and the process to produce high amounts of pure uranium is known as the Ames process.
- Mamie Eisenhower was born in Boone, IA.
- The Eskimo Pie was invented in Iowa by Chris Nelson.
- John Wayne Was Born in Winterset, IA.
- Motor homes are made in Winnebago County. That’s they are called Winnebago’s.
- Iowa is the only state that has its west and east borders formed entirely by water.
- the Painting American Gothic by Grant Wood was inspired by a house in Eldon, IA. The house still stands today.
- Iowa is the only state to have a name that starts with two vowels.
- Iowa means “beautiful land” or “this is the place”.
- Other famous Iowans include Johnny Carson, Herbert Hoover, Glenn Martin Frederick Maytag, Glenn Miller, William “Buffalo Bill” Cody, and Henry Wallace.
- Iowa is the third most productive agriculture state behind California and Texas. It produces 10% of the nations food supply and 90% of its corn.
- Red Delicious Apples were developed in Iowa.
- Iowa has the highest literacy rate in the nation 99% of Iowans can read.
- Sliced bread was invented in Iowa in 1929.
I know what your thinking, Your thinking what every non Iowan is thinking when they see the light. You are thinking "WOW, this is amazing! Why have I never heard any of this cool stuff about this wonderful fantasy place? Ever?! I need to move there now and be inducted and submersed in the rich Iowa culture!! ... Ok, maybe that's not exactly what was on your mind. Ok, you were probably daydreaming about that last drink of chocolate milk left over beckoning you from the refrigerator. Either way the next time someone thinks they know more that you do, you can say that you know when and where sliced bread was invented.
What do you Think?
Do you think Iowa is more awesome now?
Where is Iowa??
This is where Iowa is at, just in case you were wondering.