- Education and Science
February 12, 1809
and Other 1809 Events and Historical Dates
The Age of Reason was closing. The Romantic Era was about to begin.
Electricity was still an item of wonder. Asteroids were a new discovery.
The American Revolutionary War had ended just 28 years earlier. Battles were waging throughout the African continent, Europe and the East.
Fashionable ladies wore empire waists and young men were Dandies.
And more than a few notable men were born.
Abraham Lincoln born February 12, 1809 - American Politician
- 16th President of the United States of America
- died 1865 at the hand of John Wilkes Booth. The first president to be assasinated.
- counted among the greatest of American Presidents, he successfully preserved the Union during the United States' greatest internal crisis - the War Between the States
- issuer of the Emancipation Proclamation.
- author of the Gettysburg Address, one of the most famous speeches of American history.
Charles Darwin born February 12, 1809 - British Naturalist
- proposed the scientific theory known as The Process of Natural Selection.
- publisher of " On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection,: Or, The Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life," commonly referred to as "Origin of Species."
- publisher of "The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex."
Felix Mendelssohn born February 3, 1809 - German Musician
- composser, conductor and musician
- known for his symphonies, concertos, songs and operas.
- one of his most recognized, but least credited, works is "Wedding March."
Kit Carson, born December 24, 1809 - American Frontiersman
- frontiersman, trapper, rancher, guide, soldier, folklore legend.
- Kit Carson's adventures have inspired films, television programs, novels; comic books and young imaginations.
Other notable births from 1809.
- Hannibal Hamlin. Vice-president of the United States.
- Cyrus McCormick. Credited as the inventor of the Reaper, the first harvesting machine of its kind.
- Pierre Joseph Proudhon. The first Anarchist.
Notable Deaths from 1809
- Meriwether Lewis - of Lewis and Clark fame. death by suicide.
- Thomas Paine - American Revolutionary Writer and Propogandist. Author of "Common Sense", "The American Crisis" and "The Age of Reason."
You sure know your history.
Many thanks to Wikipedia and its contributers for provided much of the information included in this page.