20 Interesting Facts about World War 2
1. World War 2 Brought the US in its largest engagement ever. Over 16 million troops were reported to have engaged in some form in the fight against the Axis powers
2. The US had the lowest casualty rate of any nation totaling only about 300,000 troops that were killed or missing in action (MIA)
3. The US did not officially enter the war until after Pearl Harbor attack on December 7th, 1944. It then declared war on Germany, Japan and Italy.
4. German, Japan, and Italy were known as the Axis Powers.
5. It was the first time in history that the US set up concentration camps for Japanese Americans throughout the western US. Franklin Roosevelt feared that these people would be spies in which Japan could use to undermine US efforts in the war.
6. Americas First engagement during the war cam e in the pacific theater when they encountered huge resistance with the Japanese naval Fleet.
7. Italy was the first Axis power to surrender after it was invaded by allied forces in 1943
8. June 6th will go down in history as the largest invasion force the world has ever seen was launched on Normandy France. This is commonly referred to as D-Day.
9. Germany was the second Axis power to surrender during the war in 1945.
10. Japan was the final country to surrender, it was a historic surrender since it was the first time the US had dropped a nuclear bomb on a country.
11. Germany has suffered for its war crimes up until this day when it created the horrific massacre of over 6 million Jews. The genocide of the Jews was only the beginning among millions of others who did not conform to Nazi beliefs or ideals.
12. This was the most costly war the world had ever seen. Among the financial, political, and extermination of millions of people, the world still remains in some parts politically unstable.
13. Russia was the most affected by the war with over 21 million soldiers and civilians killed in the war.
14. Germany maintained much strength on the eastern front; It sent tits best troops and equipment to fight the Russians. However out of every 5 that went to war 4 Germans died on the eastern front.
15. Germany was not the only country of World War 2 to commit genocide and crimes against humanity. It is estimated that over 2 million people died or were raped at the hands of the Russians.
16. Those born in Russia during the war time over 80% did not survive World War 2
17. The largest percentage of bombs ever dropped in the world was on Germany. It is estimated over 27000 tons of bombs were dropped on the country a month.
18. The battle of Stalingrad was the turning point of the war for Russia and the allies. It was also the bloodiest battle of World War 2 with over 700,000-1.6 million casualties reported.
19. Robert Watson was the first engineer to invent the modern radar. It was almost accidental that he discovered it since he as actually trying to build a death ray which would make Axis plans crash into the ocean.
20. U-Boats were the biggest threat to the Atlantic shipping lanes. They were constantly on patrol and manned by small bands of ruthless captains. As many as 40,000 men served on U-boats. However, only 10000 of them are reported to have survived.