- Education and Science»
- Psychology & Psychiatry
ADD/ ADHD medicating a child
ADD/ADHD Medication for children
Part of the reason I started working toward my degree was the overuse of drugs on children. Only 5% of all children have Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. Right now over 45% of children in the US are on medication for either ADD or ADHD. This is a scary statistic. In all the time I worked at the schools, as a soccer coach, and as a mom I have only met one child who was ADD and one child with ADHD. It is important that every parent understands that continued use of the medications to treat ADD/ ADHD will make a child have psychotic episodes, attempt suicide, and it will do Permanent DAMAGE to that child’s brain.
I know what you are thinking, “But little Tommy is really hyper”. Here are some reasons why no matter how hyper your child is you should NEVER let them give your child drugs:
1. Children are naturally hyper, they need an outlet for that energy, not a pill.
2. Most children go through stages during growth where they are hyper, but they outgrow it naturally.
3. Unless you have had your child tested for a food allergy (which mimics the symptoms of hyperactivity and ADD) you are not going to fix the problem. Most children have a food allergy, if something they eat is affecting them, then you need to know.
4. If you give your child sugar cereals, soda, coffee, donuts, or other sugary/ caffeinated substances, or even just feed them junk, then chances are their diet is causing their behavior.
5. Is the child reacting to their environment? Children will behave badly when they are upset about home or school issues (divorce, abuse, teasing, bullying) Sudden changes in a child’s behavior should be INVESTIGATED by the parent.
6. Young teachers do not usually know how to handle children. A teaching degree does not mean that teacher understands your child’s behavior. They are not QUALIFIED to tell you what is normal. The older more experienced teacher know that kids go through stages, they are less likely to panic over a child’s behavior.
7. ALL of the school shooters were previously on medication for ADD or ADHD. These are dangerous drugs that stimulate the part of your brain that controls aggressive behavior.
8. These medications can also damage the central nervous system and cause a child to have nervous ticks for the rest of their lives.
I know what you are thinking, “but the FDA approved these drugs”. Consider this : in 2005 the pharmaceutical companies spent FIVE BILLION dollars on lobbyists to have drugs passed with MINIMAL TESTING (that testing was done on adults only)! Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (FMRI) has shown that the use of these medications for prolonged periods of time damages brain cells rendering them NON FUNCTIONAL. Some of the scans I have seen show worm holes through these kid’s brains from drugs like Ritalin.
If anyone has a question about their child, the food allergies or ADD/ADHD then I will be happy to answer emails. You are welcome to forward this information to friends and family.
For the skeptics, I have a son that was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of Five. I never medicated him. We changed his diet and kept him in sports. He is now 18 having outgrown the hyperactivity he seemed to have at the age of five. He already works for a fortune 500 company (making a ridiculous amount of money) and lives on his own as a responsible member of society. I am thankful everyday that we did not drug our son.