- Education and Science»
- Geography, Nature & Weather
An Earthquake At The Moment Of Writing this Hub?
LORD DE CROSS FOOTAGE
THE FEELING YOU DON'T WANT TO EXPERIENCE
Through our lives we have experienced 3 mayor earthquakes and let me tell you, you don't want to be there. What does it feel like? In simple words
- Starts with a small uneasy feeling
- Animals will react to it in minutes or even hours before it happens, depending on their genetics.
- A rumbling from nowhere. Ever felt a train approaching behind your room wall...Oh my!!?
- the floor under your 'selfishness' starts to shake sideways, sometimes is like on an airplane going through turbulence
- Your heart definitely will pump blood as a genetically response of survival
- Panic and despair surrounds the area
- It settles for some long seconds, then might start again.
- Depending of an intensity, 6 to 8 on the Richter scale, the ground under you will wave like a rug or carpet.
- And last but not less, you will never forget that moment.
EARTHQUAKES, WHY? WHERE? HOW?
Our planet is a shifting mass with an Inferno as a core. On top of that cake is this thin crust that is cold and for the difference in temperatures with the inner core, is prone to break or..Lord have mercy!, cause chaos and destruction.
Why is not so common on certain areas of the globe?
There is this ring, called ring or belt of fire, where volcanic activity reach its highest. More than 452 Volcanoes are located around this ring. Saint andreas fault is slightly on top of this pattern of release, as called by us. These volcanoes attempt to let some energy out, but when tectonic plates are tight, is a matter of time before they can unleash havoc.
SAN FRANCISCO APRIL 18, 1906
SAN FRANCISCO BAY
5:12 A.M. PACIFIC TIME
Very early in the morning. The sun is just trying to show up on the nearest mountains around Oakland. T car models start their early routine. down south The Saint Andreas fault, a continental strike-strip fault is not taking it anymore...have been holding this energy for centuries..then finally at 5: 12, it just starts this rippling shocking tremor. Just picture yourself on car and then you hit a bump...This effect travels north and destroys 80% of the city in 16 seconds.
Damage: 11 BILLION DOLLARS (at 2011 dollars rate)
Homeless: around 280,000 and up
SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA 83 YEAR LATER
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 17 1989
TIME: 5:04 P.M.
The 1989 World Series Baseball is in its 3rd game. The Bay Area's Major League Baseball teams, the Oaklands Athletics and the San Francisco Giants are doing their warm up practice. This means major network coverage is at hand. Can you imagine this happening in 1776? No one would've been there to record this event.
Luckily a Spanish missioner would've written the event down in his Bible's last page. The famous footage over the Golden gate gives us an idea of the intensity. The longest 16 seconds that killed 63 persons; not too bad for a well trained populations for this kind of events. The sad story happened on interstate 880, where a double deck freeway section collapsed on several cars. The timing was crucial! Traffic was slow for a Tuesday afternoon.
AVERAGE LOSS: 7 BILLION DOLLARS
HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED AN EARTHQUAKE?
SO WHEN IS THE BIG ONE COMING?
This is hard to say. Think of yourself pulling from a rope attached to a pole. The energy is building up, the rope is wearing out. We know the appointment is set; we don't know the day and the hour that the rope will break. Geologist are trying to build models and brainstorming applied physics to come up with this crystal ball from 20 or more centuries of science.
- Be around animals if you live in a seismic area; a second is crucial to save a life
- Get information on civil defense and practice drill evacuations
- Get your spirituality to work, second thoughts are a good sign
- Teach your kids about this effects of nature
- Get to know links to websites from the U.S. G.S.